Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS Failed, no real AOL help.. no idea why

• Please log in to reply

daveis0ffline

daveis0ffline

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i'll try and give as much detail as possible really, though i'm not very smart with the interweb =)

first off i connect my D-Link router and stuff to the computer, no troubles at all.. can view websites, get on msn and xbox live just fine, one day when i plugged all the stuff in i got "DNS Failed" on the Xbox LIVE test, this was about 3 weeks ago and i've got no idea why.

now when i plug in my router, i can't access websites, get on msn or any of that, but under network connections it tells me "connected"

i've tried buying a BT voyager 190 modem to plug my xbox ethernet cable straight into that, and i still get DNS failed.. i've contacted AOL live "help" and they were less than useful, telling me it might be a problem with the cables/socket on pc. i told them i've tried 2 differant PC's, 3 differant ethernet cables and 2 differant modems/routers, to which he told me to phone XBOX, who promptly told me to phone AOL.

i just don't understand how something can work one day, then stop working the next. it's my brothers router and we don't talk, haven't for over a year so if anything involves communicating with him, i'd rather blowtorch my nipples off.

i've been told it must be a problem on AOL's end? i've also been told "if you can't connect to the internet with router plugged in, your xbox live will never work"

i've posted this on AOL forums, some AVcables forum and xbox.com, still no real help.. or nothing that works anyway.

cheers for anything you can do for me, much appreciated and all that.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you tried hard coding the DNS servers?

Your ISP should be able to provide you with the servers they use. Here you will find a list that is a year and a half old but is know the ones listed for Verizon are up and good.