Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

raw file system on cd-rw disks

• Please log in to reply

nuthatcher

nuthatcher

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a xp computer and a vista computer. on the xp computer, all of my cd-rw disks have become raw file system. when i do a chkdsk from the command prompt on the xp computer, it says the files on the disk are in raw file system. when i do a dir from the command prompt on a file name, it says "file not found". if i do a dir on a file name and put the name in quotes it finds the file.
if i put the disk in my vista computer and do a chkdsk, it say the files are udf file system with the same results using the dir command. i can copy the disk to the hard drive on the vista computer, but the dir command does the same thing as trying to do a dir on the disk.
how can i get the file system on the disk out of the raw format, without losing all the info on the disks? also does anyone have any idea how this happens?

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Its an option chosen when the disk is first burned.

The only way to really change it is to copy the files to your hard drive then to burn a new disk choosing a different file format in the writing options.

laksa

laksa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have somewhat similar problem. RAW file system shows up on CD-R & the CD-RW drive won't read it. I downloaded files (image) to the hard drive for burning. Both C & D drives are in working condition. Here's the catch ... using the exact burn procedure on a CD-RW works fine, resulting in CDFS in the drive. I'm on windows xp, and a bit of a newbie. Be glad if someone can help.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
laksa.... first off you should have started your own post but anyway..... I'm confused first you say its' raw then you say it works can you clarify a little of the problem? how are you burning that doesn't work and what you do to make it work?

laksa

laksa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi shard92. What I meant was that burning image files onto a CD-R disk resulted in RAW and the drive wouldn't read it when I loaded the burnt CD-R. But burning the same files onto a CD-RW disk was fine, resulting in CDFS, and the drive read it. I used archival quality CD-R disks, which are probably no different from the regular.

It also works fine burning video clips onto the same CD-R.

*** I reloaded the burnt CD-R like 15 times and it came on one time as CDFS and all the files were there. But reloading it again came up as RAW again. However, it works fine everytime it's loaded onto another computer. Is there something I need to reset in my computer?

Anyone who can help....please pm me.

Edited by laksa, 18 April 2008 - 03:07 PM.