Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot extract .exe files from .rar file

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To unpack a zip file in Vista you just have to double click on the file...you need not use a WinRar application to deal with compressed files.

Advertisements

user error

user error

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Out of curiosity, did you ever try extracting the file with UAC turned on? Does the same thing happen?

joshfu

joshfu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was having the same problem. I use windows vista home premium. I tried to get the solution via live chat and met wannabe1 who i felt was rather rude. I tried to clarify that this problem had no corrolation to WHAT the exe files was.

SOLUTION. Right click the rar file, select properties, click the tab at bottom right that tells you "this program came from another computer" and it will then allow you to extract the exe file.

Anyone worthy of the title geek should have been able to figure this out with ten minutes MAX of troubleshooting.

I suggest that if wannabe1 is going to make replies that he broaden his information base and learn how to focus on the persons issue.

Suggesting someone is doing something illegal is quite impolite and i would not want my charecter represented in that way.

I hope this solution helps.
(you guys are silly as heck. suggesting that he was using an illegal exe, as if your some kind of super detectives and you deduced this info and deserve a chance to share your genius. Lets be more fair and NOT blame people of FELONIES without reason next time. And make sure you are looking at the right nail next time before you just on the misinformation bandwagon.
geekstogo pfffft. shame on you children.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thank you for posting the solution you found. It will surely be very helpful to others who read this topic.

I'm sorry you found me to be rude. While you were busy trying to hurry the free help, I was working in two other chats and trying to research your issue further, as well. I've attached our entire exchange in chat so others can see just how rude I was to you. I sincerely apologize for my childish behavior.

The legality of downloaded files is always an issue we have to watch for and you'd be surprised at the number of illegally obtained operating systems we deal with here. We must error on the side of caution in these cases, just as we do with password issues. It is simply too difficult to verify the intent of the request and a line must be drawn somewhere. The answers we give to a sincere request may in fact help others with less noble intentions.

Attached File  joshfu_chat.txt   4.09KB   750 downloads

joshfu

joshfu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
User interface help should not require A license check on the software being used. its none of your business in this instance. if it were vital, it would be perfectly reasonable. If you had said you would be a moment, AFTER hearing my problem, you would not have me saying you were rude when i waited for your reply. As it was a holiday emergency, i see no reason for you to make me appear ungrateful when you were so impolite yourself. Since i came to your site, rather than anyone else, and since it is a service your site offers, i dont feel ashamed for asking for help in a timely manner. if that was not possible, AFTER you addressed me, AND asked me for info regarding my problem you could have stated so clearly. Before any problems in our conversation arose.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I thanked you for your input.

I publicly apologized for my rudeness.

I explained our position on the course of this topic.

While you were in the middle of your "Holiday Emergency", I was helping someone whose computer would not even boot. I consider that a far more serious problem than not being able to get to a lan party. Sorry...I guess our priorities are different. Maybe if I were a gamer things would be different, but I'm not, so gaming takes a back seat to more serious problems.

If you wish to pursue this further, please do so by PM...or contact the site administrator. We are adding nothing constructive to this topic by continuing this discussion here.

ak74udieby

ak74udieby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had the same problem and tried everything still doesn't work i tried to download hacks for games and it doesnt extract

deejai

deejai

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem, even joshfu soultion didnt work for me. So I disabled my antivirus software and unzipped the exe file, it worked for me.

iChakad

iChakad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
had this problem earlier tried everything on here without luck..only when i checked the setting in winrar, i noticed that .exe was included in "files to exclude from extracting" in the "security" Tab.

Votlom

Votlom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this post is dead but just incase you havent found a fix yet i have one, open winrar go to options, then click settings, then go to security, then i think you can find your way from there.

Advertisements