Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TOSHIBA A-105 LAPTOP WILL NOT BOOT UP

• Please log in to reply

flowmit

flowmit

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My daughter has a Toshiba A-105 S-2001 series sattelite note book with windows xp home edition on it . When she turns on the computer she gets a windows system 32/ c_437.nls error on the screen and it tells her to use the original set-up cd. The problem is that we never recieved the set-up cd, all we have is the recovery and application/ drivers dvd. We have done system restore in the past for other issues (all have been fixed in the past but everything wiped out). This time she does not want to wipe everything out, Lots of important files were not backed up!!!!! And not even sure if this would correct the problem. Is there a way to do a partial restore to the computer? And if so how? I am not too literate at things like this. Someone said I would need a new xp home edition cd, but I dont have a lot of money. Any deals on one or do you have other suggestions? Any and all would be appreciated...Thanks

Edited by flowmit, 14 February 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi flowmit, welcome to G2G.

Does that error prevent XP from starting up? If not, found the following here: http://www.experts-e...Q_22967568.html

An *.nls file is a National Language Support Code Page for a particular character set used by Windows and other programs.

Doesn't the "error" message actually say what the problem is with that file rather than just specifying it? I mean, does it say that it is missing or something more?

First of all, look in C:\Windows\System32 and tell us if the file C_437.nls exists there.

On my computer (XP Pro+SP2+all updates) it looks like this:
Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

08/04/2004  07:00 AM			66,594 c_437.nls

This file should also be in
Directory of C:\windows\system32\dllcache

08/04/2004  07:00 AM			66,594 c_437.nls

Download the CD iso image of the [url="http://%5burl="http://www.mharding.net/downloads/xp_recovery_cd.iso"]XP Recovery Console[/url]

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this.
  • Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
  • At the command prompt type the following:

copy C:\windows\system32\dllcache\c_437.nls C:\WINDOWS\system32

• Enter Y if you're prompted to overwrite the existing file.
  • Reboot the computer.

Edited by Ztruker, 14 February 2008 - 08:47 PM.

flowmit

flowmit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Ztrucker for the advice but the computer wont give me any more info than that. I did use the system recovery and pressed f8 until it went into options for safe mode and command prompts and ect., but no matter which one I go to I press enter and it asks me to enter what os I am using . I only have the xp home option highlighted and when I press that it will go through a list of windows system 32 settings, and it seems to stop at that particular one, waits for about 10 seconds and then it restarts and goes back to square one. So I believe it is missing or corrupt. so it will not even work on safe mode. I dont know what else to do. I might have to convince her to do a full system restore....