Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network File Sharing

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
We have tuturals on how to do things. here is the one for setting up a home network.
You asked specificly about sharing a home movie.
I did not see a question about setting up a shared printer.
You did not ask about setting up a home network.
If the issue is setting up a home network you should have asked how to do that.
You asked

I have a desktop PC running XP, a wireless network with a laptop running Vista.
What we are wondering is this:
If I have a dvd, and I upload it to my desktop, is there something I can do so that my daughter (using the laptop) can watch it?

Sharing a copywrited property is illegal.
If this is a home movie you should be able to copy it on to your daughters laptop, or let her view it on your computer.

Advertisements

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I have a desktop PC running XP, a wireless network with a laptop running Vista.

What we are wondering is this:

If I have a dvd, and I upload it to my desktop, is there something I can do so that my daughter (using the laptop) can watch it?

Hi shyla,

I wonder if I can pop in here to maybe simplify this. I have the very same setup here in my home ie (for example) a PC which is the host computer) and a Laptop at the other end of the house with a wireless modem and file sharing between the two. Both are running Windows XP/SP2.

I realise you have XP on the PC, and Vista on the Laptop.

Have you set up file sharing between them?

If you have then while using the host computer (which in my case is the PC), all I do is:

Sharing and Security
Which ever folder or file you want to share with your daughter on her Laptop,
right click on that folder/file scroll down to Sharing and Security and put a tick/enable in share this folder on the network.

You can also do this with your DVD D:\Drive, (if you had a different CD in there) but you will SEE a warning that it is not recommended saying "If you understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive click here".

Now I read you have the CD in a folder on your desktop already, so right click on it and follow the above re sharing and security in bold.

I have all my file sharing folders in Net Work Places sitting on my destop with all folders inside it file sharing enabled. I suggest you put the CD folder that you want your daughter to share into My Network Places

Please post back if I have been of any help to you - It works for me, but I do re-inforce both my computers have Windows XP.

kind regards,

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Shyla, you didn't answer my questions? To see the Sharing and Security selection you need to disable Simple File Sharing in XP Pro (see the link I provided).