Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can I install hidden backup utility from preinstalled OEM xp home

• Please log in to reply

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,

I'm about to buy a custom built pc - trying to decide between xp home or pro - I don't need the extra networking or security features on pro and the only other important difference seems to be that the home version doesn't have a backup utility. I've read that this can be installed (CD-ROM -> Valueadd -> Backup) but does anyone know if it can be installed from a pre-installed OEM version of xp home, or is it only possible to do from a retail version? And also, is it possible if the company don't supply the actual OEM installation cd?
Do I really need this backup utility? I'm working with a tight budget and obviously Home is cheaper than Pro!
Any help appreciated...

Edited by struggling artist, 15 February 2008 - 07:04 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
There are many back up solutions.
Some are hardware, and software. Others just software.
here is just one example.
Do a Google search for back up and you will find many choices.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I've read that this can be installed (CD-ROM -> Valueadd -> Backup)

yep..and you can use anyones copy of xp home (retail or OEM) ...just not the restore disks
go here for home w/sp2 $88 bucks...I have bought them for as low as $80 dollars when someone has a sale...just make sure it comes with COA

Edited by happyrck, 15 February 2008 - 09:06 AM.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks guys,

Here is the info I read:-

"Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan."

All of this technology is very new to me so I'm not even sure if I've asked the right question!! I will be getting an external hard drive for storage, but do I need to use this facility on xp Home as well? Or is it safer to go with xp Pro?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Go with Vista home premium, or better.
The automatic back up feature is very good.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi hfcq,

No, decided to stick with xp rather than Vista - spoke to you a few days ago about this - I have old version of photoshop and all things considered, I think xp is my best option for now!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

No, decided to stick with xp rather than Vista - spoke to you a few days ago about this

Sorry, us old folk cant remember a dang thing any more.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hi happyrck,

thanks for link, but company who are building it are going to install it at their end, can i still use any copy to get the backup if it's already installed by them (and they haven't added backup themselves)? And if so, how? Excuse my ignorance, i really am very new to this... :)

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
hfcq -

....i may be older than u!! Just had to go and lie down for an hour so i could cope with the next question/answer! :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Use this link to download SyncBack Freeware V3.2.18.0. It's a free, simple to use, excellent backup tool. You don't need to go through the transplant of microsoft backup from one XP to the other.

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
the skeptic - excellent, thankyou! The simpler my life is the better :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.