Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq shutdown

• Please log in to reply

bogo888

bogo888

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am a newbie to this site, although the administrators never sent me a email as they were supposed to!
Anyway, I have a friend who has a 4 year old Compaq, with XP, when he now boots up the comp., it simply tells him to 'reboot', and then goes to a black screen.
I have tried everything from rebooting the modem and then some.
The model of this Compaq is Presario SR 1023WM.
Please help me :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the Compaq Website.

Recovery Version 2( from the Hidden Partition)

* Startup your Computer and Press the F10 key during boot at the beginning
* or from the Start menu select:
o Start > All Programs > Compaq > Compaq PC Tools > Compaq System Recovery or
o Start > All Programs > Compaq > Compaq Presario PC Tools > Compaq System Recovery or
o Start > All Programs > PC Help & Tools > Compaq System Recovery.

Windows® XP will restart (a reminder to use System Restore might appear - click Yes to continue the restart).

The PC will load the Compaq System Recovery. In the recovery program there are 2 methods which can be used to recover the PC:

* Non-Destructive System Recovery. This should restore the system without affecting the user's data. Please note that the stored user data may not be immediately visible and may be stored in a separate folder on the hard disk within the Documents & Settings folder after recovery. This occurs normally when User Accounts have been used and modified.
o Press Next. The user is prompted to try System Restore first. Press Yes. Recovery will now begin.
* Destructive System Recovery. This method will format the hard drive and remove any personal data and applications. This will use a Quick Format only.
o Click Advanced Options from the first recovery screen shown. Press Next to begin.

On starting either recovery method there will be a reminder to use System Restore if possible, click Yes to continue. The Destructive System Recovery will have a final warning about data loss, click Yes.

If you did not make a recovery CD when the computer was new, you may have to order a recovery cd from H-P.

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07143

SRX660