Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Windows XP problem!

• Please log in to reply

Squarehed

Squarehed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help me guys, really huge problem here with XP, basically i cant even get into safe mode, it just hangs when its loaded the background, arfter AGES i can get task manager to come up. But no taskbar/start/desktop or anything! ARGH, i really just gotta get system restore up please help!

Thanks

Squarehed

Advertisements

unknown error

unknown error

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
There is a way to get to the system restore by restarting your computer and right after you restart you can hit a F- key. I think for mine it is F-10 or F-8. Im not sure so ill let one of the pros help you out.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
unknown is talking about restoring from a hidden partition....not the same thing. Comes with certain large market PCs like HP, compaq.

Is this Home or Pro? Can you start in command line mode?

DId you try last known good configuration?

Squarehed

Squarehed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried last known, didnt boot, can get command lines (cmd.exe) and can get recovery console, this is home edition, it just boots to my user, then brings up background and hangs. i can get task mngr up. Now ive just repaired it, got a fatal error when installing windows.... :tazz: