Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2

• Please log in to reply

binvin

binvin

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys,
This is not about my computer, i am using my sisters computer, trying to help hers run faster. It runs extremely slow, does anyone know why?

Here are some specs:
608MB of RAM
2GHz Processor
40MB Hard Drive
56k modem
128MB DDR

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a new problem? or has it always been slow?

608mb of ram is not very much by todays standards to run XP pro SP2. That is what you have as an OS????

There are numerous reasons for a computer to run slow. We will have to start with basics.
Has there been any new software or hardware installed?
Are there any other problems, such as freezing up, blue screens, etc.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mention 608 MB of Ram and then you mention 128 DDR. Could you explain this? You can get 608 MB only if you have 2 modules, one of 128 and the other of 512MB (640 MB together) and 32 MB of that is used by an on-board video card. You can get the same result from having 3 modules, 128 MB each. The 128 DDR is not clear to me.

Anyway, to speed-up your computer do the following (For most downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Go to the "startup" tab and un-check everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only anti-malware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use the link in my signature to the malware forum and follow all the preliminary steps. Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. For this operation I use Auslogic Disk Defrag.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags registry and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: -> Properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

8: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procedure for Secondary IDE Channel.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well this is a second hand computer and it has been like this since we got it. Yes, XP Pro SP2 is the OS that we have.
The only things we have installed after receiving the desktop are as follows: Limewire Pro, Zoom Browser EX, a Webcam, Avira and the printer. But before doing any of that, it was more or less the same speed, slow...

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
physical memory
total 622064
available 294408

34.9 GB capacity
26.3 GB free space

Primary IDE channel: Ultra DMA mode 5
Secondary IDE channel: Ultra DMA mode 2

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
did you run steps 1-5?

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes sir I sure did.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you say that the computer is extremley slow: when is it extremely slow? Is it during boot up? Is it during downloads and program installations? Is it slow all the time?

Please write down what antimalware programs you are running. I mean those that open up during startup (e.g what antivirus are you using. What firewall. What antispyware. Is your protection program consists of one of those suits that combine antivirus, antispyware, antispam and firewall, all in one program?). Do your computer perform a scan during bootup? Is your windows updates turned on?

Please open Task manager and click on Processes. Let the computer idle and look at the bottom, at System Idle Processes. look at CPU coloumn and write down the value shown for system Idle processes.

binvin

binvin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well it is always slow, opening up programs, opening a webpage, etc.
but she uses avira and it doesn't scan during boot up, it just activates itself.
I will not be able to check the rest until next weekend, out of town! sorry man!