Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply

bherr

bherr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sure others have been having this problem, so I apologize for starting a new topic on this but I have been working on this for a couple of days and can't seem to get anywhere. I currently have Media Windows Player 9 on my computer. I have tried repeatedly to download 11 without success. I have gone to the microsoft pages where it promptly tells you that no fix exists for the error code that I got. I did find one place where it suggested changing a name on a registry file. I also followed the advice and renamed all of the current Windows Media files to "old windows media file" suggested by gerryf that was posted here in March of '06. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi bherr, welcome.

It would help if you told us what the error code was that you get when trying to do the install :)

Also, check Event Viewer to see if any additional information is being logged there. To do this,

Click on Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter
Look in all three listed areas for RED errors. If you see any, double click on them to see the details. You can then use the up and down arrows to move to prior or later entries.

bherr

bherr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have attached the first error page and some of the event viewer error pages, but not all of them. There are quite a few. Do you need to see all of them?

When I go to Web Help, I get "You've encountered error message COOD2AFB while using WMP. Additional information is not currently available for this error."

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The problem appears to be Access Denied when installing WMP 11. See if you can find the wmsetup.log file. If so, attach it here please. It should be in a sub folder of C:\Windows\Temp\. You can search for it if needed.

bherr

bherr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Attached File  WMSetupLog.doc   431.5KB   16 downloads

Rich,

Here you go. I could not upload the file in format it was in. I had to copy it to a Word file first.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yup, Access Denied. Search for 0x80070005 in the log file.

Look at this series of posts http://www.eggheadca...layer-11-w.aspx . Same problem as you. See what you find. Post back if you need more help.

bherr

bherr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Rich,

Thanks so much for the help. Went to the site you suggested. Looked at my log files and found the registry file. It was a permission problem with the WMP.DVR-MSFILE registry key. Edited the permission and re-installed WMP. It downloaded fine.

B

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
BINGO! - always wanted to say that.

Glad you got it fixed. Seems to be a common occurrence with WMP installs for some reason. No idea what causes the registry permission problem and MS isn't saying that I'm aware of.