Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I need to upgrade my CPU, but i'm not actually that sure what makes a cpu 'better' than the others (apart from more cores, more GHz).

I'm running a 3.4GHz Pentium D (Dual Core), but i'm under the impression that a 2.4GHz Core 2 duo would be better?
Can you guys explain about CPU's and junk, i'm not that familiar with them :) Or at least provide some links for me to read.

~Seltox

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you "need" to upgrade? Serious question. What do you do with the computer?
Raw gigahertz clock speeds went out the window years ago. These days just because you can get a processor that runs at 3.6Ghz doesn't mean its any better than one that "only" runs at 2.4Ghz. Cores, processing technologies, amount of cache and power usage all go towards deciding what makes one processor better than another. Thus, a 2.4Ghz processor can easily outperform a 3.6Ghz processor if it has an extra core, a bigger cache, runs cooler and gets the job done in less power.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
upgrading the cpu can also mean upgrading the motherboard and ram..

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I do mostly gaming. I have an 8800GT (not overclocked), and have been trying to play Unreal Tournament 3. My CPU is bottlenecking my performance.

I've got an abit IP35-PRO motherboard, compatable with 45nm CPU's, and 2gb of DDR2 800MHz RAM, so i'm all good with the rest of my PC.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

I do mostly gaming. I have an 8800GT (not overclocked), and have been trying to play Unreal Tournament 3. My CPU is bottlenecking my performance.

I've got an abit IP35-PRO motherboard, compatable with 45nm CPU's, and 2gb of DDR2 800MHz RAM, so i'm all good with the rest of my PC.

Considering you already have IP-35Pro, you use 8800GT, and you do gaming.. your processor indeed is the bottleneck.. But Unreal Tournament 3 is not very CPU intensive... When I was in Athlon single core, I can play UT3 flawlessly..

Should you have enough budget, I seriously suggesting you to upgrade straight to E8200 dual-core processor.. If you are on budget, just stick to your current processor... If you insist on upgrading but on tight budget, any E4xxx will do.. but again, if you are thinking of E6xxx series, I think you are better go with E8200 processor considering the price difference from E6550 is not that big... :)