Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware (Vundo etc) affecting Internet Explorer [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Loizos

Loizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

I've uninstalled ComboFix but the whole procedure didn't take too long, it was really quick, so I was wondering if that should be the case.

Also, I see that there are two text files in C:\ called ComboFix.txt and VundoFix.txt , shouldn't those have been removed as well?

If not, then all I have to say if thank you very very much for everything!! I wouldn't be able to get rid of the viruses if it weren't for you!!! :) :)

Take care,
Loizos

Advertisements

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts

I've uninstalled ComboFix but the whole procedure didn't take too long, it was really quick, so I was wondering if that should be the case.

yes, it does not take long at all.

Also, I see that there are two text files in C:\ called ComboFix.txt and VundoFix.txt , shouldn't those have been removed as well?

you can delete those manually, they are not normally deleted during the clearout process.....they are harmless text files.

if you want to be sure that the restore points are clear of infection then you can reset your system restore by:

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

Instructions with screenshots to help is http://www.f-secure..../sfc_dis1.shtml

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

otherwise, everything looks good :)

andrewuk

Loizos

Loizos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you very much for all your help and support! If I encounter any more problems, I will let you know.

So far it's looking good though :)

Best,
Loizos

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.