Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

memory could not be "written" error

• Please log in to reply

CatZilla

CatZilla

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi.
I have this weird
memory could not be "written"
type of problem. It appears, for example, when I close a movie which I started by double-clicking it from explorer. If I open wmplayer FIRST and then open the movie file - it goes well and normal, and does not crash on closure.

Same exact thing happens with firefox, windows picture and fax viewer and other applications.

What could it be, and why?

This same thing happens on all my 3 computers - two desktops and a laptop. Might there be some app/service that does not let the program access the memory?

I should mention two things:
1) I already disabled DEP.
2) I install service pack 3 RC version 3264

This problem appeared before the installation of the service pack, so I do not think it should be taken into consideration.

Edited by CatZilla, 16 February 2008 - 11:14 PM.

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm not sure maybe it's related to hardware issue..... so try some tools to diagnose your RAM?? how RAM do you have?

if it's related to software issue ....... then do you enable the pagefile option or not???
I mean go to control panel==> system ==> advanced ==> under "performance" section choose settings then advanced ==> change ==> click on the drive you have windows on ....which option is active??
try to use your computer in safe mode for awhile to see if you will get the same error or not.....
what the AV are you using?
and rarely this is due to malware infection

Edited by SUPERIOR, 17 February 2008 - 03:03 AM.

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
1st pc: 800 MHz pentium III, 768 mb memory
2nd pc: 2.4 GHz pentium IV, 1.5 gb memory
3rd pc (laptop): 1.8 GHz core 2 duo, 2 gb memory

I really do not think it's a hardware issue.

Currently, since i'm on the 2.4 GHz desktop the pagefile is 2 gb.

What is AV?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check Event Viewer, see if there is anything logged there that can help identify the problem.

Click on Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter

Double click on an entry to see the details.
Use the arrows to move forward and backward through the entries.

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
rundll32.exe - Application error: Instruction at address "0x100071f7" referenced memory at address "0x00e42004". Memory could not be "written".
wmplayer.exe - Application error: Instruction at address "0x10006ba1" referenced memory at address "0x001b95e6". Memory could not be "written".

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What version of WMP are you using? wmplayer.exe is definitely Media Player.

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Two desktops: version 10
Laptop: version 9

It's not a wmplayer problem, it seems to be more global... The problem is (I think), something is preventing windows XP from properly communicating with system memory.

Edited by CatZilla, 17 February 2008 - 05:05 PM.

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
well, are the three PCs connecting??? well as I said before if you are doubtful of something wrong with system....just try to run in safe mode.. tell us with result

btw, AV means antivirus

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The three PCs are in my home network, linked by a linksys router.

File sharing is open, so that I could access ony 1 of the 3 PCs from anywhere.

As for AV, I only installed AVG Free on the 800 MHz, and the other two do not have an antivirus.
I must say though, that I personally do not need an antivirus because I do not run any suspicious programa and I do not let anyone else to use my computers. Virus penetration is not an option, in my opinion. For the 3 years I've had the 2.4 GHz desktop, I ran a virus check on it twice (last time was this winter) and I have not found any trojans or adwares, excluding my remote administrator program (RAdmin 2.2). So, the virus option is closed, too.

I will try safe mode later today, because I have to leave right now. I will post an update as soon as I get to safe mode and testing.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rereading this thread, you said: Same exact thing happens with firefox, windows picture and fax viewer and other applications.. What do you mean by that.

Are you saying if you click on a file or link in Windows Explorer that launches FireFox or WPFV then when you close them you get the same error, or are you saying the error occurs with other applications started normally, via an icon?

Advertisements

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
WHen i start a file associated with a certain application, that erorr comes up either before it starts playing/displaying/etc or after i close it. If i first start the program and then start the file associated with it, it goes by fine.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try disabling DEP, see if that fixes it. See here: http://www.zensoftwa...e.aspx?id=10002

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Are you using one of the computers as a server with these programs on the server and not on the other computers? Just shortcuts to the programs on the other two computers?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you don't want to disable DEP completely, just disable it for the programs in question.
  • Click Start
  • Select Control Panel
  • Select System
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • In the Performance region select Settings
  • Click the Data Execution Prevention tab in the dialog box that opens
  • Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select
  • Click Add.
  • The open dialog box will open. Browse and select your application.
  • Click Open
  • Click Apply
  • Click Ok
  • Reboot
Above from http://www.tech-reci...ws_tips566.html

CatZilla

CatZilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
2Ztruker
In case you missed it:

I already disabled DEP.

I'll add to that: I put
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

2cmpm
No

Edited by CatZilla, 17 February 2008 - 10:00 PM.