Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop Connection logs me out

• Please log in to reply

blitznetworking

blitznetworking

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have 2 computers (vista and xp) at the office plus a windows server 2000. also 2 xp computers at home. If pc "A" is connected to the vista comp and pc "B" tries to connect to the xp comp it logs of pc "A" off. iam not logging on to the same comp, i know there is a limit for 2 people cannot connect to the same comp but iam connecting to two different comp on the same network so i dont know why it would log me off. any ideas?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Blitznetworking
When you log on to remote are you logging on to 2 different ip address or are you logging on to the same ip address.
Cheers
peterm

blitznetworking

blitznetworking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
one thing i dont understand is the way it was set up. the tech before has set this up like this: when you open up the RDC to connect it has the local ip address of the pc's at home. so you see 192.168.128.10 and not the wan ip. the other comp says 192.168.128.20 to connect to the other comp. so im guess he has it forwarded some how in the router?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I Have to admit you have me here.
I was expecting it to go to the wan address and then the choice of computer.
Have you ever had it working before where it did not log off the other computer?
Cheers
Peterm
ps
just found this
ou HAVE to have port 3787 enabled in order to get RDP to work.

Say for example your PC is located at 192.168.1.100, you would need to enable port 3787 and then enable port forwarding to point port 3787 to port 3787 on IP 192.168.1.100.

If you want to connect to multiple computers via RDP, you still need to create forwarding rules, each pointing their IP address to port 3787 on their respective boxes and an different port via the initial forwarding. For example:

port 3388 forwards to port 3787 @ IP 192.168.1.101
port 3389 forwards to port 3787 @ IP 192.168.1.102
port 3390 forwards to port 3787 @ IP 192.168.1.103
port 3391 forwards to port 3787 @ IP 192.168.1.104

etc, etc....

Now, from your remote location you would type in the first port number along with the IP address or URL:

mylocation.com:3388
x.x.x.x:3389

etc, etc...

Edited by peterm, 23 February 2008 - 02:48 AM.

blitznetworking

blitznetworking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea i know it got me as well. ive never seen someone set it up in a way where u can just type in the private ip from a remote location and be able to connect. and no its never worked where they can both log in at the same time but they would like it. im going to try to set it to a different port and see if that fixes the problem. there both login in using the same port (as fas as i know) becuase i dont see any specific ports after the ip that they put in to connect. lemme go try that and ill get back to you with the results. i appreciate your help.