Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem connects via USB but not Ethernet

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyHolic666

JohnnyHolic666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

My brother inlaw is having a problem with his newly aquired cable modem and its connection. Seems he cannot connect to the internet via the Ethernet port but can via the USB port. So at least he has a connection so this isnt a serious problem however he needs his USB ports for other peripherals and would prefer the Ethernet port.

Customer support for his cable company said that the problem must be his side, but being a computer geek myself I cant find any problem with it (I built it for him). At their suggestion it was definatly a NIC Driver problem I made sure all the drivers and updates on his computer were up to date. I had him bring his PC up to my house and we managed to instantly connect to my internet connection through the Ethernet port using HIS modem and HIS Ethernet cable. So he takes it home and again has the same problem.

So although customer support refuses to admit its their problem I can only assume it must be and that the cable or the connection to the building itself must be at fault. Unless its a problem with his IP address? Also today his internet connection using the USB cable has been cutting out regularly and is having difficulty connecting instantly, sometimes taking 10mins and more.

So any suggestions?
Thanx.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Its kind of the easy way out but it does really seem like the cable companies issue. I would call them and tell them to send a tech. Whatever the reason he may not be getting a signal or its too weak. They can test that in less than 5 mins but they have to do it at the house, they cant do that over the phone. Be firm with them and have them send someone.