Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EVE Online Crash

• Please log in to reply

dkauder

dkauder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I'm new to this site, but it seemed like people knew what they were talking about, so I figured I'd post here before I go elsewhere.

I'm a guy who loves a good MMO. WoW has been my poison for three years, but recently I wanted to get into a more sci-fi genre kind of game, so I grabbed the 14-day free trial of EVE Online for a little space-based shoot 'em up action. Everything was running smooth and beautiful, and then-
Darkness.
My screen just turns itself off. Eventually the CPU restarts on its own, but still the screen won't come back on until I manually restart the thing myself. After this happened enough times, I finally wrung it out of my errant electronics that the culprit was a Stop Error that said I had a "Thread Stuck In Device Driver". After doing a little digging, I found this meant in English that there's a problem with a video card driver. While its helpful to at least know what is breaking, I've been unable to formulate a way to keep it from breaking.
This error occurs at random times. Sometimes I can get 10-40 minutes out of the game, other times, less than three.

Halp. :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what are system specs? have you tried updating your video driver?

dkauder

dkauder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I believe my specs are listed in my profile, and yes, I've downloaded the card's most recent drivers.
Since I posted this topic I turned down the quality of the graphics the game uses, and now I can play the game without fear- so long as I keep playing. If I let the program sit without doing anything for a while (a few minutes tops), the same problem occurs. But if I'm playing, moving the mouse, etc., nothing goes wrong.

hterez

hterez

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Click here to find anything u need for EVE.