Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer to Xbox!

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
OK heres the thing.

I have a router in the other room, next to the modem. Neither are moveable. I have run one cable into the bed room for my computer. But Now I want to add an xbox to the bedroom, with xbox live on it useing a cable. ( I REFUSE TO GO WIRELESS WITH AS MUCH GAMEING AS I DO! Its far to unreliable!) Is there like a switch I can get to plug the wire from the router into and then run one from the switch to the xbox and computer?

I am looking for a cheap solution, without haveing to run an aditional wire, or getting under desk everytime and moveing the cable.

so any ideas folks?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo

just some questions for the moment
- how many cables does the router allow, for example mine allows four cables to be connected
- can one simply switch cables manually in the bedroom,or do you use both devices at the same time

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I hate to point this out, but I answerd those in the post.

I am not running another cable, so it doesnt matter how many cables the router will support.
Also I am trying to AVOID getting under desk everytime I want to play xbox.

Please read entire post before replying!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well if you arent running another cable, how do you expect to connect your xbox to xbox live?

The truly easiest solution is to have your internet connection go to the WAN port of the router. Then have two cables come out the LAN side of your router, one to your xbox and one to your computer.

Thats a permanent configuration.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Alas, I am trying to AVOID running another cable. Also trying to AVOID getting under desk everytime.

I belive there is something to switch which device is provideing the input to the router.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So you dont want to switch cables at the router or under the desk. But you want to switch cables between your computer and your xbox?

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
no, I want to use a device to switch them for me. Something where I plug the cable from my router into and then it has two(or more) cables comeing from it so that I can EITHER be on computer OR xbox... lol

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can use a network switch. Even with a switch though the computer and xbox can be online at the same time. Without disabling the network card or unplugging a cable I dont know of anything that would shut one port down when you use the other if thats what your looking for. But if you want to put a cable from your router into a switch, then a cable to the xbox and the computer thats the best way to do it.

Here is a couple links to inexpensive switches that would work:
Switch 1
Switch 2

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I'm assuming your Xbox already has a cable.

there is a cheap thing that your local computer store sells. It's a splitter. It has one cable connected to your router and the other end has 2 openings. That way, you could plug in your Xbox and your PC.

I don't think you can run a Xbox and a PC on the same line O.o

you know, you can just buy cheap cables from monoprice O.o http://www.monoprice...amp;cp_id=10232

i mean, a friggin 100ft cat6 at 14bucks?

i have a 50ft cable from my living room to my basement router. No lag on xbl XD

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 19 February 2008 - 07:45 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
As long as you have some sort of device that can transmit packets it will be fine. An unmanaged splitter would cause collisions on the uplink cable. A switch will stagger packets plus route them properly ensuring a better connection.