Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

safe mode boots, safe mode with network doesn't

• Please log in to reply

J Velson

J Velson

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running Win XP, Svc pack 2. On boot up I get as far as click user name, then a quick blue screen of death appears and the system recycles to restart again. I can't read the BSofD msg - goes by too fast. I can boot in Safe mode, but not in Safe mode with network. I was tweaking wireless connections on my Linksys WRTG54 router when these problems started, so I am thinking that somehow network settings have become corrupt and preventing boot to complete. Looking for any ideas, suggestions given I can only access system in Safe Mode without network.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
While in safe mode;
  • Click on the start button
  • Select control panel
  • Open system.
  • Select advanced.
  • Where it says "startup and recovery" select settings
  • Remove the check from automaticly restart.
Please note any error message.
Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

J Velson

J Velson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK I am working through it now..STOP 0x000000D1 is the msg
Startup services is the problem area, many to work through..

J Velson

J Velson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK..the problem is with the Wireless Zero Configuration service. Please suggest next steps. Thanks

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
did you recently install a wireless adapter?
Or set up a wireless network?
Have you tried a restore point before this happened?

J Velson

J Velson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I have had a wireless router hooked up for some time. I use it for my work laptop, but not specifically for this device (though I use ethernet cable that runs through the wireless and then directly into the cable modem).

I was having problem connecting my laptop, so I was trying to reconfigure the wireless router settings. As part of that, I needed to power down the wireless router, which is when this problem started.

I did not connect the two events.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Try leaving the check box empty in msconfig.
Basically disable it from running, then see how things work.

J Velson

J Velson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, that's what I have done and things seem to be working fine. However, I occasionally move this computer to other part of the house and it has wireless capability. I will still need to get WZC working correctly. Any thoughts? You have been very helpful so far - much appreciated!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Not yet, give me some time to research this and I will.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
One suggestion. Use System Restore to a date before this started happening. That may resolve the problem.

You get to System Restore by clicking on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.