Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd game on a cd only computer

• Please log in to reply

fielddancer

fielddancer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a game called "The Sims: Pet Stories" it's not an expansion to the Sims but a Sims game in&of itself. All over the box it says PC DVD-ROM. Knowing that my computer does not play dvds I stupidly bought the game anyway. And of course it will not work on my computer.

My computer is a 2003 Gateway that used to have windows xp on it, however it's brains were fried and my brother re-installed everything so now it has the brains of a Windows 2000. Before everything got all corrupted it was not able to play dvds but I have this game. I bought it opened it and now the store won't take it back. So I was going to try and sell it but I would much rather be able to play the darn game!

Is there any hope? Not including buying a dvd-rom drive. Perhaps a software download? Better yet a FREE download?
I've tried searching myself but I just have no idea what I'm looking for. I already download AVS dvd player but it didn't work, it wouldn't even play an actual dvd. I'm scared to download random stuff just to see if it works because of obvious saftey problems. PLEASE help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Is there any hope? Not including buying a dvd-rom drive.

Unfortunately, no. The optical drive you have can only read CD's, DVD's are read with a different laser.

I'm sorry we can't help you further with this one. As you've mentioned, the only way you could get this to work would be to add a DVD drive.

Cheers

Troy