Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting up Win XP, Dual Screens

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have been having problems booting up. It some times takes two or three times to get up and running, Once running It will seem to stay running.
System:
Dell 8400 Pentium 4 Processor 560 With HT TEchnology (3.60GHz, 800 FSB)
MS Windows XP Professional
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz (2x1GB)
Two Dell 20 Inch Ultra Sharp 2005FPW Wide Screen , VGA/DVI Screens
Video Card 256 MB PCI Express x16
Nvidia GeForce 68oo GTO Graphics
Two 300GB Seagate Internal Drives.

System is set up for dual Monitors, and usually works fine, my desk top is on one monitor and have the extra monitor for extra windows when i need it.
I love dual screens.

Problem:
Some times when i start from a cold start, no power and boot up I will get a blank screen when i turn on the computer.

If it boots correctly i usually get:
1. Dell Logo
2. Windows Logo
3. Blank for a few seconds
4. Mouse arrow on the Desk top
5. Windows notation it is starting up
6. Logon Icons to log on, these are on the desktop monitor not on both monitors

So on with problem:
if I am logged on properly, and i need to reboot and do a reboot and do not shut the system down completely, i shut down and i only get a blank screen, and can not turn off the computer, i must turn off the power strip and then do a cold start.

Some times when i start from a cold start, I get none of the above 6 steps to booting, but just a blank screen, I can not turn the computer off so I shut down the power strip, and then do a totally cold start. I just now did this process and it took 4 cold starts to get up and running....that is 4 power ups from no power.

Some times when i power up i will get the above 6 screens in sequence but they are on both monitors, and it boots up as a single monitor on both screens. I get the same desktop on both screens with the same program icons on both screens. and the resolution is very low.....
Once i get this i let it complete booting up and then shut it down to a cold start, power and all.

I will then usually get a power up correctly but it will boot up and i will get a extremly high resolution in a dual screen mode, much higher resolution than normal.

Some times i will boot up correctly from a cold start....those are the one start days.

Any one have any ideas what is happening. This drives me crazy.....it didn't used to do this.

I ramble on and have more but this is enough to prompt some quesitons or thoughts if anyone has any.

I didn't want to write a book on this...but it has been going on for weeks now. And , i use my computer daily for business .

thanks for ideas..

Denny

Advertisements