Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen on startup, bootvis registers no activity

• Please log in to reply

elkatbal

elkatbal

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've done quite a few tips and tricks now to quicken my start up time but still have this one little problem, after the WindowsXP loading screen comes up with the bar scrolling across the middle, the screen goes black for about twenty to thirty seconds and nothing is happening, the the WinXP screen reappears, "loading your preferences..." and everything starts up fine.

here are all the things I've done in the past couple of weeks:
1. run bootvis test and 'optimized system' (bootvis log shows there's no activity going on when the black screen appears)
2. I've emptied my prefetch folder and turned prefetching off
3. run disk cleanup
4. and finally, I've defragmented the C drive.

all of this has contributed to a much faster startup time and my system runs relatively quick but I just don't know what's going on with the computer when the black screen appears and just sits there.

could this be a sign of a larger problem or am I just being impatient?

thanks for any help!

ellen

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Ellen.

Try this, see if it helps:

Control Panel
Folder Options
View
Uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers"

elkatbal

elkatbal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey thanks, but that didn't really do anything.

anyway I can check to see what programs I have running at startup and find out what I don't need to maybe speed things up?

ellen

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager after the system ius booted bu before you do anything else.
Click on the Process tab. They are the programs that are running on your computer when you boot.

This site has some good information on Startup programs Black Viper's Services Configuration