Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New Computer

• Please log in to reply

TruOne

TruOne

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi this is my first post as u can see site ranked high in google...

im building a new computer and im haveing problems picking a power supply. i use to build alot of computers when i was in school around the age of 17 and psu power was never an issue.

My Budget Is Around 600 Ill Add More Later Basicly Getting Bar Min That I can add too later on since my comp im on is just not cutting it anymore... i do ALOT of surfing , art programs and music mixing. wife also uses it for school.

What im planning on building

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2

Have Not Picked A Case yet and ill be using my old video card and hard drive for the time being.

2 Questions:
What do i need as far as keeping the cpu cool? (besides case fans) as i hear the duo and the qauds get pretty hot

And PSU as far as power watts and name brand if at possible i would like to keep it under $100?

so it will be the specs above with my Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 video card , 250 gig HD , 1TB external hd , wireless pci card , usb expansion pci. the only thing ill upgrade on is prob 2 gigs more of ram if the 2 gb dont cut it, anthor hd , and maybe a lil bit better video card i dont play games or anything so i dont need a huge one.

Thanks For Any Help And Advice

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

What do i need as far as keeping the cpu cool? (besides case fans) as i hear the duo and the qauds get pretty hot

They are actually quite cool, the stock cooler will be enough.

And PSU as far as power watts and name brand if at possible i would like to keep it under $100?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139004
or
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817163112
Both are high end brand names and both are very good PSU's. I'd go for the Silverstone as it's $10 cheaper and just as good of a PSU.

Based on what you use your computer for, a dual core processor like the E6750 will be more then enough.

If you don't get the quad then I recommend the following PSU.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139003
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 February 2008 - 01:36 AM.

TruOne

TruOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey thanks for the fast reply... so 550 will be enuff watts? and ya i was told the duo would be fine but with me i like running my computers into the ground so i might as well make it as good as i can... thanks again

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The programs you run don't take advantage of 4 cores. Therefore the E6750, which is clocked higher would be better for your needs.
I'd take the Silverstone as it's $10 cheaper, but yes, 550W or 560W will be more then enough for your needs. If you get the dual core you'd be easily safe with the 450W cosair.
James

TruOne

TruOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
something else that i forgot to add i plan on taking a video editing class. but uses the same high memory usage as my music mixing...

First thanks alot ill be going with the silverstone then.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115029 - The Duo Your Talking about

& The one i was going to get

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115017

There is only a 100 difference in price thats why i was just going for the newer quad.... I under stand not using the full Prudential of the quad but will it hurt in performance?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I under stand not using the full Prudential of the quad but will it hurt in performance?

It depends largly on the application, if you are using something that is 4 core optimized like adobe preimere, then the quad will be faster. If you are using a program that only uses one of the four cores, then the dual core will operate faster because it has a clock rate of 2.67GHz compared to the quads 2.4GHz.

something else that i forgot to add i plan on taking a video editing class. but uses the same high memory usage as my music mixing...

I'm not sure what you are asking here. If you are using adobe premiere then it will use the quad core to it's full potential and I would recommend getting it. Also, I'd highly recommend a $50 GPU (I'd recommend the HIS x1650pro) for the real time rendering on video editing applications.
James

TruOne

TruOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks For your help i went with the silverstone you said...

one more fast question if i could... can i take my hard drive from my old computer with windows xp and hook it up too the new system without loseing data or reinstalling xp?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

one more fast question if i could... can i take my hard drive from my old computer with windows xp and hook it up too the new system without loseing data or reinstalling xp?

Unfortunatly, no. At the very least you would need to run a repair install. That does not always work and if it does not you would need to reformat and do a clean install.

A last note, if this is an OEM copy of Windows on your old computer then that means you can't use it at all. Also I would be willing to bet that your old drive is IDE and your new board uses SATA.

Edited by Titan8990, 22 February 2008 - 08:56 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also I would be willing to bet that your old drive is IDE and your new board uses SATA.

New motherboards still have both IDE and SATA.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, but many people need that PATA slot for their DVD drive.

TruOne

TruOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
[bleep] i didnt even think of only haveing 1 ide slot... imma have to go out a buy a sata hd.