Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer - Old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Skydmark1

Skydmark1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, I hate to make my first post a question for help but I've exhausted my own abilities at this point. The problem is I'm getting the blue screen of death and a stop error code. I've looked through the lists of error codes and thier problems but I'm just not sure where to start.

Here's the scenario - I got a new computer that came with virtually everything I needed but an operating system. Since I had been using the hard drive and OS out of my old PC I put that hard drive into the new PC that I got.

The basic specs on the new PC are as follows - Athlon 64 X2 4000, Asus M2N-MX SE motherboard, onboard Nvidia GeForce 6100, 2 - 512mb Kingston DDR2 667 Ram, a Lite-On 20X Lightscribe DVD burner.

It also has a Western Digital 250GB SATAII hard drive in it, but that is empty. I put in my old hard drive which is a smaller 120GB IDE drive. It has XP on it that I was running fine on another PC.

Now I get the following error code when I try to boot windows

0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF78A20BC, oxF78A1DB8)

I can boot into safe mode but that's it. I'm on my laptop right now trying to figure this out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance
~Jason

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Unless the new machine is nearly identical to the old one, or at least has the same chipset you will get stop code errors when you switch the hard drive. Any of the NT series Windows is made to work on only one computer and part of the license agreement is that you only use it on one computer. You will need to get a new operating system for your new machine. Afterward you can use it to recover the files from your old hard drive and reformat it. Your choices aren't limited to Windows any more, there are several good operating systems out there, including versions of Linux and BSD.

matt2012

matt2012

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yep...XP takes a snapshot of the hardware in computer it is originally installed on.

If the HW does not match on boot up you get the BSOD.

Sorry but you have to reinstall windows on the new computer for it to work.

Skydmark1

Skydmark1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the quick reply Tyger, I was starting to think that maybe that was the case. I guess I'll have to go down to the store and check out operating systems.

What's the best way to recover all my data from the old drive once I get the new OS. Can I get the programs I had on there as well or will I need to reinstall/download/buy them again?

I'm considering Linux, but I have no experience with it and I play games and stuff and I'm worried that they aren't going to be compatible.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
HI Skydmark1.

I would recommend you buy a copy of XP and a new hard drive, then do the following:
  • Remove the old drive
  • Install the new one
  • Install XP to the new one
  • Apply all Windows Updates
  • Install the old drive as a slave
  • Copy your data from the old to the new
  • Format the old and use it for backup or additional storage