Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Socket that has the most potential?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Whats the newest socket version?

I'm also looking to put a quad in (eventually), is there anything that will hold be off until i feel comfortable buying the cpu. I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard when i decide to get the quad so what motherboard would you recommend?

Thanks for your time.
David

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What quad are you referring to? An Intel Kentsfield quad (such as the Q6600), an Intel Yorkfield quad (such as the QX9650), or an AMD Phenom quad (such as the Phenom 9700)? If you aren't sure, what will the computer be used for?

Socket type doesn't determine quad compatibility. Both the Kentsfield and Yorkfield chips use the LGA775 socket, but not all LGA775 motherboards will support them.

Also, you say you will be wanting to put a quad in eventually. What CPU do you plan on using in the meantime?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think i'll be planning to put in a modern dual core processor (core 2 duo if i'm not mistaken, it can get confusing :) ) but yeah from what i've gathers i'de be going on an intel based CPU (probably Q6600.), since i will eventually play the newer games. This is because, i buy used parts of the market, i don't like the prices of "high-end" gear since the prices are ridiculous for the performance (they'll all drop in good time).

My plan as of now is to get a fairly decent motherboard if i can find a good deal. Start off with a c2d cpu to hold me off until i can afford a quad core. As for the other parts (RAM,PSU,GPU) those will also be upgraded if i find the right price.

:) Kinda Cheap but hey thats the way i am :)

*Edit*

I'm kinda eyeing XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard as the motherboard i'm going to pick. How does that sound?

Maybe this (these are CDN prices)

Motherboard + Q6600 CPU - 350
4 x 1GB - 70 after MIR or 4 x 1GB - 60 after MIR Both are 800MHZ (don't think i should oc yet)
XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX - 80 after MIR

Edited by 41600, 20 February 2008 - 10:44 AM.