Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duplicate name exists on the network.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I'm trying to map a drive on our HR Director's computer to a folder on a server at our corporate office. I've made this same mapping to about 20 machines already so I know the drill quite well. Since the server is outside our domain, I have to add its name and IP address to the hosts file of the local machine. Then, I can map the drive.

One of the last machines to do is an old Windows 2000 machine. I've added the info to the hosts file but every time I try to map the drive, I get the "Duplicate name exists on the network." error message. I changed his PCs name and tried it again with no avail. On the third attempt, and just for testing purposes, I named his PC something wild with random letters so I would know for sure there couldn't be another PC on the network with the same name. To my dismay, I still get this message.

Any ideas?

Only one NIC card installed.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Update:

I just realized that I can ping any of the three names I gave his PC today and I get a reply. Wow, that's amazing. Sounds like something is hung up in the server. I suppose I'll change his PCs name back to the original name and think this one through some more.

Is there any way I can force his PC to get a different IP address. I know how to release and renew the connection, but his lease on the DHCP server will cause him to pick up the same IP address, I just know it.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus