Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reach Wal-Mart? Fileplanet?

• Please log in to reply

Kamilion

Kamilion

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been seeing this problem for some time now, but it's usually on websites I don't use often or don't care anything about. I still don't, actually, but I'm concerned that the situation is symptomatic of a larger issue.

Issue: I can't open certain websites. "www.fileplanet.com" (or any IGN site), "www.walmart.com" I know there are others, but I can't remember the addresses. Passing situations that I didn't make specific note of. I just noticed that Walmart situation today, but I haven't been able to access Fileplanet since sometime before Christmas. It's not isolated to my computer, either. My roommate's laptop has the same situation (he's using Windows Media Center).

I'm not sure what information to provide you. Let me know and I'll dig it up. I should state, by the way, that while I'm certainly not a computer genius, I consider myself very computer literate. And I don't mean those morons who are "good with computers" and then make you want to bar them from ever touching a keyboard. So feel free to talk geeky.

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
This may be a problem with the router. You may try and reset the router, or just test the speed. It may also be a problem with the actual use of the cache, etc. I would recommend testing the speed - Connecting to the router using an ethernet cable - reset the router(s).

Kamilion

Kamilion

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I've already gone through resetting the router. My speed hasn't changed significantly at any time (I test it regularly for whatever reason). I haven't tried hooking up with an ethernet cable, but I fail to see how connecting wirelessly would affect only select websites. I regularly clear the browser cache, which has made no difference - and I'm not sure how that would change anything either way.

Question: Anyone else have trouble reaching these or similar well-traveled and seemingly easily available sites?