Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Max comp area temp...........

• Please log in to reply

Strange1

Strange1

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Just put together a computer desk for a friend that has a comp area that has a door over the comp area. What is the max safe temp for that area? I can drill holes in the back of the area if necessary... Thanks

Jack

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I have to admit this question is a little confusing. Can you please further describe it? This is what I'm understanding:

You put a computer desk together for your friend. Your friend has an "area" for the computer desk to go in. There's a door over the computer area (so it's a door to the roof :)) And you're wondering what the ambient temperatures should be? (How hot before it's too hot). And you can drill holes somewhere on the walls or roof?

This may give you a laugh :) It does for me when I'm previewing it.

Cheers

Troy

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Now that you mention it, it is pretty funny the way I wrote it. Meant the desk has an enclosed area for the computer (as a lot of them do) and has a door on the front of the little area in which the computer tower sets. It seems to get quite warm in the little enclosed area unless I leave the little door open. Just wondered what is the maximum ambient temp a computer can realistically stand. Is that better? NOW I'm getting confused. Thanks anyway.

Jack

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes you can drill holes in the back of the desk (up high) to let the hot air out..
you may also have to drill some down low in the front
computers can live in those compartments as long as there i some room around the case
to allow air to move freely...
with that said... I did have a client that even after installing a 2nd case fan it would heat up and
start throttling back...it was a prescott core that run hot anyway...it did not want to live in the compartment

Edited by happyrck, 21 February 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for the feedback.

Jack

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts