Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Failing

• Please log in to reply

Chicki Monkey

Chicki Monkey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright so i recently purchased a new video card because the one that came with the pc was garbage the reason for purchasing one was to play with some of my buddies on TF2. I was able to run the game but with a frame rate of 10fps i figured i needed a new one. So i purchased a nvida Geforce 8500 GT and it installed fine the drivers are all in updated and ready to go, but the second i start up TF2 the computer screen gets really blurry/scrached up to a sense and it completely freezes to the point of a manual reboot. Help?

Edited by Chicki Monkey, 20 February 2008 - 10:59 PM.

Advertisements

Chicki Monkey

Chicki Monkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
??????????

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What kind of power supply do you have?

The 8500GT itself is not a very good card for gaming.

Edited by Titan8990, 23 February 2008 - 12:27 AM.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
also what is your computer make/model or the cpu speed and amount of RAM and hard drive size.

Chicki Monkey

Chicki Monkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
400 watt and it requires 350 to run the card. Not enough power still?

I know its not a great card for gaming but i just want to play orange box and when a game like (spore comes out) ill upgrade.

Gateway5404

1 Gig Ram / which i know is bad for vista basically suicide but it runs so. and 2.9 ghz processor.

Edited by Chicki Monkey, 23 February 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I really think you're going to need to upgrade. Gateways are known for poor quality PSU's (amongst other things), and having only 1GB of RAM with Vista all contribute to the symptoms you describe.

Cheers

Troy

Chicki Monkey

Chicki Monkey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi there,

I really think you're going to need to upgrade. Gateways are known for poor quality PSU's (amongst other things), and having only 1GB of RAM with Vista all contribute to the symptoms you describe.

Cheers

Troy

Thanks for clearing that up for me appreciate it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You're welcome. :)

Feel free to give out a yell anytime you have any further questions.

Troy