Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with PCI card (Promise Fastrak PCI IDE controller)

• Please log in to reply

Ben_uk

Ben_uk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I've been trying to get a Promise Fasttrak PCI card to work and have been having some difficulty. The card is an IDE expansion card with 2 IDE slots. I've tried it with 2 different IDE hard drives using both connections on the card in different possitions and with cable select on and off. I've tried the card in a different pc and it recognises the hard drive connected to the PCI card fine. When I start up with the PC I want it in it boots up to a fasttrack screen while it checks the hard drives. After a minute or so checking it gives the following error message:

"warning - Fasttrak does not detect proper interrupts.
please check your PCI IRQ setup, and make sure the PCI
slot support Bus Master operations"

I'm running an ECS Geforce6100SM-M2 mobo. I've had a play around in the bios and turned up no results, here are a few entries:

Advanced bios features>Hard disk boot priority:
(Entry for Bootable Add-in cards moved up to top of list.)

Integrated peripherals>RAID config
RAID enable - [Disabled]

Integrated peripherals>PnP/PCI Configurations:
Init Display First - PCI slot [*]
Onboard [ ]
PCIEx [ ]

Integrated peripherals>IRQ Resources:
IRQ-5 assigned to - PCI device [*]
Reserved [ ]
(6 more lines identical to this with the numbers IRQ-7,9,10,11,14 and 15)

If anyone sees anything wrong there or has any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your help.

Ben Sykes

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shove it in a different PCI slot if available. Or go into BIOS and turn off stuff that you don't use - for example if you don't use the parallel port, turn it off. If you don't use the onboard network because you're wireless, turn the network card off. Normally this frees up enough resources on its own if you turn off all the stuff you don't use.

Failing that, try it in another computer if you can. If you don't have a modem in that computer tell the computer not to bother reserving IRQ5 or just set the previous option to "Resources Controlled by: Auto(ESCD)" if such an option is available.

Ben_uk

Ben_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your reply. I have tried it in a different pc and it detected the hard drive fine. I went through the bios and disabled everything I could find, onboard network, onboard audio etc. but am still getting the same message. I unreserved all the IRQ resources with no luck either. I can use other PCI devices (tried a sound card and a network card). There is no "Resources Controlled by: Auto(ESCD)" option anywhere in the bios.
Anyone have any ideas or is it just no-go with this board perhaps?

Ben Sykes