Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd rom drive not working

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I am working on a dell optiplex gx400...... i realised that when i went into device manager, i was not able to see the cd rom drive. So i thought that the cd rom drive itself was damaged or bad, so i went to another optiplex and removed it and placed it into the computer i was working on.

I got the same problem. It is not listed in device manager. I went into the bios setup and when i went into boot sequence, I am only seeing the hard-disk drive c: and the diskette drive.

I am able to open up the cd rom drive and insert cds into it, but after that, nothing happens. Could it be a driver problem? Is the motherboard defective?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ensure that the BIOS can see the drive. If the BIOS cannot see the drive no piece of software is going to be able to see it either.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Yeah the BIOS is not even reading or recognizing the drive.
Wait, how do i really ensure that the BIOS can read/see the drive?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually by setting all available IDE options to "Auto" and having the drive on its own on one cable.
But anyway, they're not expensive to replace, like most pieces of computer hardware the humble Optical Drive has become disposable and its usually far cheaper and quicker just to buy a new drive.