Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell monitor

• Please log in to reply

dr_dillon

dr_dillon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We have a Dell Inspiron 8300 @ 4 years old. The flat screen monitor recently decided to "black out" for a second or so. It does this on it's own, often. Then after 30 - 45 minutes of computing, it just shuts off and I must manually shut the computer off then wait then turn it back on. This has been happining for about two months now. At first I thought it had to do with using the mouse, but it can happen just while you are watching the screen.
Anyone have any advice for a "fair novice?" Thanks!

Advertisements

Poseido

Poseido

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This may not be caused by your monitor, This may be your OS.

Have to tried a different monitor? This could help us figure out if its the monitor or the OS. If it does it on a monitor you know that works, It is your OS. But if not it is your monitor.

Do thats little test and then let us know what happened.

Thanks Poseido :)

dr_dillon

dr_dillon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Thanks so much for the info!

I unplugged the Dell monitor and attached a new Acer we have sitting around (much smaller). It seemed to be the answer, but alas, after 2 - 3 hours of online time, the monitor started "blacking" out for second or two, then back on--not as often as the Dell. Then after another couple of hours it did the "total black out." Just dead--well the monitor just shut down.

Here is some new information though. Previously our speakers were dead but I found a pair to use for the moment. A surprise was that when the screen blacked out that the sound was still coming through (if it makes any difference).

So I had to manually shut down the computer then restart the system just as before with the Dell.

Also, when the system was restarted there was an Error box. Title: Family Safety Unexpected error occured. ERROR: 800705b4 This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

So . . . now what? I really hate to spend a bunch of money on this "fix." I have the ability to follow directions but nervous peering into the guts of the computer. Might it be just an "unplug then replug?"

I so appreciate any help. Thanks again!