Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Into my Operating System

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

openmindedlogic

openmindedlogic

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I was just transfered to this forum by a geekstogo team member from the malware removal forum. I had malware problems on my computer
and I was being assisted in removing them from my computer [A Dell, Optiplex Gx280] running windows XP. The removal tools were working well
and did get rid of many walware problems, but then the following happened:

I was instructed to download and run a program called: TheAvenger by SwanDog46
The team member gave me the following script to run with the program:
Files to delete:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\mqvxensm.dat
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rqtwa.ini2
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rqtwa.bak2
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qti55a2j.exe
C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe

Drivers to unload:
igsqixvp

The program said it would need to reboot the computer, which I allowed it to do. After this occurred I was unable to log in to my user account. I would
type in my password and hit enter, windows would indicate that it was 'loading my profile' and then instantly [perhaps after a brief flash of the
desktop] the screen would revert to saying 'saving preferences'...'logging off', and then my computer would restart. This same thing happens when
I try to log in under any account, whether administrator or non-adminstrator, and even if I try to log in in any form of safe mode, debug mode, or
when I tried to log in after selecting 'go to last known good configuration'. It always immediately logs me off as soon as I log in. I can't access anything
in the operating system.
By the advice of the geekstogo team member who was helping me, I used the Dell "windows xp reinstallation" cd to get into the recovery console.
I than ran the command "chkdsk /r" which, after running for about 2 hrs, did not fix the situation. The team member then suggested that I try to repair
windows XP, by booting with the Dell/Windows XP cd and reinstalling windows over the windows XP installation currently on the system. Unfortunately,
the system could not find Windows XP on the hard disk and did not give me an option to repair Windows XP, it will only allow me to delete the
hard disk partition I have and do a clean reinstall of Windows, therefore deleting all of my Files!!
I don't want to delete my files and would rather have kept a few malware programs on my computer if I had known that I might lose everything.
At this point, the team member recommended I start a thread here to see if anyone can find a solution that will let me get back into the operating
system without having to wipe the hard drive. Does anyone know what I should do?

Here is a link to my topic in the malware thread for more details
or actually the topic address since I don't know how to create a topic link:
http://www.geekstogo...an-t188280.html

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've replied to your malware topic....... :)