Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

do i need to format a brand new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

nuthatcher

nuthatcher

• Pip
  • 4 posts
my xp computer crashed a couple of months ago and i bought a new hard drive and installed it. the store told me that the hard drive was pre-formated, so i just installed xp operating system on it. it is a 160 gb hard drive. now im having raw data problems on the cd rom and dvd drives. should i have formated the new hard drive before reinstalling the operating system?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, nuthatcher

Windows XP setup is quite capable of both creating and formatting a partition prior to installing XP.

Having said that, it's unusual (very unusual in fact) for a new hard disk to be supplied pre-formatted. If it was, it could very well have been a second-hand one. I've bought 6 new hard disks over 4 years and none of them were partitioned, let alone formatted. That's how new hard disks are usually supplied. Your "new" disk could have been faulty when you bought it. It's almost certainly been used before you got it, unless the store is in the habit of formatting new disks for it's customers? I've never known any store do that, unless they formatted it to 'wipe' the data of a previous owner (as I said, second-hand). But then they should not be selling it claiming it to be 'new'. It could even be argued that the process of formatting it before it's sold renders it 'used' and not new, but that's probably verging on the ridiculous.

In view of it's having been already formatted, I think I would have run a disk-diagnostic utility on it before installing the OS, to satisfy myself that it was in a healthy state. Indeed, you could still do that now. determine what brand it is, then visit the manufacturer's website->customer service->downloads page.
All the main HD maker's offer free disk-checking tools for checking their own disks. They run from a floppy disk or bootable CD-R so you can check the disk even if Windows won't run.

Edited by pip22, 23 February 2008 - 04:57 PM.

JohnnyBoyClub

JohnnyBoyClub

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For a better functionality of the hard-drive yes you need to format it . For better use and don't have problems you shouldusee any free backup softwares like Dmailer http://www.dmailer.c...ler-backup.html .
If you don't know how to format just insert the windows bootable disk and format it from there is safer and easier , or from repair console .