Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incomplete Cleanup after malware removal?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
atiptaxx uncheck this one
atiptaxx.exe is the traybar process for your ATI graphics card drivers. It gives you easy access to your graphic card settings. This process can be removed to free up system resources.

IMJPMIG and ImScinst can both be unchecked also..It is used to simplify the input of Asian characters in the Microsoft Office suite.

ImScinst can be unchecked...for translating Japanese/Chinese text within Internet Explorer

tintsetp....uncheck ... is a process which belongs to Microsoft Language Support

jusched...uncheck this as well.... Sun Microsystem's Java suite and checks for Java updates

QTTask...uncheck...installs a tray bar icon which links to the Apple QuickTime

iTunesHelper..uncheck ..is a process belonging to Itunes MP3 streaming tool by Apple, which allows you to play MP3's.

ctfmon...uncheck...is a process belonging to Microsoft Office Suite. It activates the Alternative User Input Text Input

GoogleToolbarNotifierProcessor uncheck...is a process associated with GoogleToolbarNotifier

CTDetect...uncheck...is a process belonging to the Creative Labs Soundblaster CD/DVD Alerter. This program is a non-essential process

Adobe Reader Speed Launch...uncheck...you should remove adobe reader altogether...get foxit reader its free a fraction of the size and is way faster...get it here..

Microsoft Office...uncheck

ERUNT Autobackup...you could leave this

unchecking these things only keeps them from loading with windows...it does not remove them...it frees up resources for things you are actually going to use...this stuff loads "just in case" you might use them

Edited by happyrck, 11 March 2008 - 05:21 PM.

Advertisements

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
hey man, thanks for those suggestions, but Im sorry to say that my computer is still running rather slowly. I left my computer on to run an ad-aware scan and when i came back - 5 hours later! - it still wasn't done. Something's gotta be up. Adaware identified 2 threats before i ended up forcequitting it. Im not sure if they were actually the reason why its been so slow, or if they're just some inconsequential adware. Any thoughts? My system gets increasingly slow after startup, to the point where even my typing lags. What else could this be a sign of if my hjt log is clean?

stef

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press ctrl + alt + del....click on the process tab and get a screenshot same for performance...and post them

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to post these pics the fancy way. Here they are in two installments

Attached Files

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
thanks again

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
save the screenshots as .jpg instead of .bmp...then they are smaller and should upload ...
go back to post # 16 and uncheck all of those I said to uncheck...you are not removing them...they just won't start with windows is all...
while your still in the system configuration utility click on the services tab...put a check in hide all microsoft services..the list will shrink considerably...click on disable all..to disable whats left....click on ok...close the window and reboot...see how it runs

Edited by happyrck, 16 March 2008 - 11:07 AM.

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I made the changes you suggested, happy, but I haven't noticed any difference. The computer will start off performing moderately well, but by the time I've accessed more than one or two webpages, I'm back to the same on-again-off-again laggyness, to the point where watching videos or multitasking is unthinkable. Besides disk management, could there be something lurking around my system that's causing the slowdown? This laptop is several years more advanced than my old laptop, yet my old dell can run videos smoothly from start to finish. I don't think this is a case of wear-and-tear. Any other ideas? What else would cause my ad-aware program to take 5 + hours to run a scan (which it never actually finished)?
Can we look into the possibility of leftover malware or a cache of adware I haven't deleted?

thanks!
Stef

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try the speakeasy speed test...here...try several servers and make note of the download speeds...
also post another screenshot of the processes.. one after what I asked you to do in post # 16

Edited by happyrck, 17 March 2008 - 03:10 PM.

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Download Speed: 1937 kbps (242.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 331 kbps (41.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Keep in mind I'm on a campus network, so there are certain restrictions. I don't think this is actually an internet connection problem, however, because the lag occurs with or without internet access. I'll upload a jpg of my processes in a little while.

stef

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
those speeds are fine...get the screenshot of the processes and performance when it feels "laggy "
as for malware...you were given a clean bill of health twice...once from the malware forum and again in this thread when you posted a hijack log ...
with that said... it is possible that some site you go to has installed a nasty...do the online scans at panda...bit defender and kaspersky to eliminate this as a possibility...

lets clear out the old hosts file ...go here and get the host.zip...instructions here...post number 6

as for adaware...uninstall it completely...and delete the lavasoft folder in the programs folder...then reinstall it

I also looked at your thread at the malware forum...noticed you have the google toolbar...
much as I like google...uninstall it...I have seen both it and the yahoo toolbars cause system slowdows..

Edited by happyrck, 18 March 2008 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Sorry, I accidentally switched the filenames for performance and processes, but they're both here. I dl'd the new host files, but I'm unsure of exactly how they work - while I'm sure they're useful in the long run, I've noticed greater loadup times for webpages since dl'ing them. That's just a minor scruple, though. I installed bitprotector and ran a scan - it found nothing of consequence. Then I reinstalled ad-aware and it found a couple of spam files, but nothing that has improved my system's speed. I've since uninstalled bitprotector cos it seemed like a resource drain, and I wasn't able to run the panda scan for some reason. I'm at my wits end on this one, as I can't imagine that my computer would lag this badly unless there was some underlying reason. Any other ideas?

very appreciated
stef

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.jpg
  • performance.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
interesting...the processes screenshot shows system idle at 96 %
but the performance one shows cpu usage at 58 % ...something is using the cpu cycles in the background...
try booting in safe mode with networking...see how it works..surf just like you would normally and see if it gets laggy

caricaturd

caricaturd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Aside from the lagginess I usually get from safemode, its as bad if not worse. Also, since dl'ing the new host files, my web browser will not load any pages until i have quit and reopened the browser two or three times. I'm thinking this is related to the lagginess of my computer, but to be on the safeside, how do i reverse the new hosts stuff i dl'd? I tried deleting the folder on my desktop, but i still get the occasional uncooperative web browser window. This is maddening. Are there any sources of info - registry stuff, or some kind of logs -- i can show you that might help us figure out the problem? Its getting to the point where just having multiple word documents open gets choppy. my favorite program you guys have shown me thus far has gotta be combofix - is this a combofix situation? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks again