Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XPS710 going blue

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have a Dell XPS 710 running Win XP. It has the Philips DVD8881 DVD/CD burner in it. It worked fine for a while. Now the thing will read CD's fine, but if I put a DVD in it and try to play it using Roxio or Media Center or anything else, it immediately locks up with the dreaded blue screen telling me it's dumping physical memory and I need to upgrade the bios and something about a problem with "nv4_disp.dll". I don't understand how it plays CD's fine but with a DVD everything crashes everytime. Do I need a bios upgrade for the DVD drive? If so where so I get it? Or is my drive toast and needs to be replaced?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think what you may need to do is re-install or (preferrably) update your NVidia graphics card drivers, as "nv4_disp.dll" is a component of that. try that before messing with a potentially risky BIOS update.

For graphics drivers (indeed for any driver on a Dell PC) you get them from the Dell website.
http://support.euro....l...;l=en&s=gen

Edited by pip22, 24 February 2008 - 04:17 AM.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Okay, I ran a Dell tune up program and then the drivers I got from Dell and it works now. Strange that i have continualy updated the driver but with one from nVidia, and it never fixed the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the help.