Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thanks for helping me close that window forever.

• Please log in to reply

catara

catara

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Original Posting- My 85 year old father has a repeat of an American Idol show running in the background everytime he goes online. He says he never downloaded anything, nor did he even search or read anything regarding this topic. It is the same show everytime he goes online. I'm going to go over on Sunday to take a look at it for him, but I am not very computer saavy, so I thought I would ask ahead for help. What should I be looking for? When I find it, how do I delete it? I think its pretty funny, but that's because it's not happening to me. BTW, it's the recent tryout where Simon gets up and walks out on a young man, and later comes back and apologizes.My father does have dementia and has significant problems doing much of anything on the computer except for reading and sending emails.
He has windows xp and aol as internet provider. If you need more info, ask. He really wants this fixed. Catara

QUOTE (response that helped in correction)
If after all this the problem persists after connecting to the Internet, then it may be the browser Option set up. I don't know about an AOL browser, but check in Preferences/Option (whatever it's called) for what home page is being loaded when browser is open. Remove any that may be the site where show is playing and set your dad's favorite site.

It was this. Apparently AOL allows him to open multiple pages at once. I immediately noticed that there was a little bubble at the bottom that said windows 4. He had four windows opening at once. They would not close.I went up to task manager and disallowed this and set "my AOL" as homepage. I rebooted and voila! I rebooted again and double voila!! I'm not really sure of what I did, but it worked. Thanks Ron, really. I'm glad I found "geeks to go"! catara

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to post that your problems have been resolved and that you're happy with the service we provide here.

There can be some tricky settings within programs sometimes... I don't use AOL browser either, but I'm glad that Ron was able to lend a helping hand with an idea that obviously did the trick!

Cheers

Troy