Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused about hooking up a flat screen monitor.

• Please log in to reply

fishchowder

fishchowder

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi! My friend just gave me his old emachines flat screen monitor, since I'm still stuck with a huge compaq regular monitor. I was so excited to finally have a flat screen, but I hooked it up and it isn't working!!

For one thing, there's no plug. Is there supposed to be a regular plug, like the old monitors? The kind that you plug into the wall? The only connectors this monitor has is the regular monitor-to-computer one and another one connected to that which I'm not sure what it's for. It's a round plug that looks similar to the size of the keyboard or mouse plugs, only when you look inside it, there's only one prong. It says "JV" in really small wires on one side and "2" on the other. I can't seem to find a place in my tower that this fits! Once I hook up the flat screen to my tower, and press the power button on the front nothing happens. Is there something I'm missing??

Edited by fishchowder, 24 February 2008 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Power adaptor most likely. Some monitors have their own power packs that are needed, while others just plug straight into the wall.
Take a picture of this mystery connector if you can but you should only have one, maybe two, cables from the screen to the tower - the blue 15pin VGA cable (or the bigger white DVI cable) and possibly a sound cable.

fishchowder

fishchowder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here's a picture.

http://i26.tinypic.com/8yxqna.jpg

There's no place for a power adapter. I mean, I've seen flatscreens with a power adaptor port thing before, but this has none. It worked fine on my friend's computer. Maybe because it's an emachine monitor and he had an emachine computer?

http://i29.tinypic.com/125hy6e.jpg

There's info if ya need it. Maybe I need a driver? But the monitor won't even turn on... maybe it's dead?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
There's no way the monitor will work without power. You need this adapter.

fishchowder

fishchowder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

There's no way the monitor will work without power. You need this adapter.

Oh! Thanks! I don't understand though... where in the monitor do I plug in that adapter once I get it? I don't see any holes?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Should be a little power hole somewhere on the monitor, typically around the 15-pin blue output cable. Unfortunately monitors don't run on fresh air and the computer does not provide its own power to it.

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yea you need some sort of power. That plug that he posted looks good to me