Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with win32 applications

• Please log in to reply

Souley16

Souley16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've recently reinstalled windows xp sp2 (32 bit version) after having driver issues. The issue was fixed after the install and I proceded to reinstall some of my favorite apps. After installing about a dozen programs, I started seing the following error message when I tried to set up certain programs. (this is an example:
[
Unable to execute file:
C:\program files\clamwin\bin\clamwin.exe

Createprocess failed; code 193.
%1 is not a valid win32 application.
]
The message started shortly after I tried to installed COMODO firewall and CLAMWIN antivirus. After searching the site's forum, I've discovered that some people were having issues with these programs and I applied some of the suggestions on how to fix the issues by completely uninstalling both programs, deleting the registry entries, erase my temporary files, making sure I ran the programs from the source instead of saving them, then running setup but the issue still persisted.

One another note, I've tried installing IE7 after downloading it and got the following error message:

[set up could not verify the integrity of the files needed for installation. Make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer.]

I googled this error as well thinking the two were related and followed the instructions on this page to restart the cryptographic services
and fix the potential file integrity check but still the issue persists.
http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_014.html

Another symptom is that I cannot go to safe mode, which baffles me since I just did a fresh install of XP.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Souley16, 24 February 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This could be caused by malware, especially since you can't boot to Safe Mode. I know it seems unlikely as you just reinstalled but it doesn't take long for that junk to infect a computer it there is no firewall or AV program running. Very similar thread here:

http://forums.spybot...amp;postcount=5

To make sure, please go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).