Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp Factory Reset please

• Please log in to reply

Capt.trunks

Capt.trunks

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i have a Hp Pavillion ZV5000 and i cant get it to go back to factory settings can some one please help me on this Thanks

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may try - when the system is booting - continually hit F8, F10, or F11 (Based on the system) and load it in Restore Mode.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From what I can find, the HP Pavilion zv5000 comes with restore CDs and does not use a hidden partition on the hard drive. If you don't have them, you can order then from HP here: http://h10025.www1.h...n...353&lang=en

One of the items on that page is this:

Create a set of recovery discs or a recovery DVD

Creating a recovery disc set If your computer can open to the Windows desktop, you can find out if the computer has Recovery Creator software installed.

1. Click Start , All Programs , System Recovery and then click PC Recovery Disc Creator.
2. To create the recovery disc set, open the software and follow the on-screen directions.

Capt.trunks

Capt.trunks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
nope looks like im going to have to order a gay recovery disc o well thanks for them help guys

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

does not use a hidden partition on the hard drive

I believe it's not true...
Very same link:

The PC System Recovery is an easy-to-use suite of three utilities that restores individual driver and programs or restores the hard drive on the PC to original factory condition. The PC System Recovery utilities are installed on a special partition of the hard drive, and are available at any time to return a PC to a known good operating condition.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Nope, I looked through them before I posted. They all require XP to be bootable. There is no way to start the recovery process from the hard drive partition during boot, like most on-disk recovery setups, at least none that I was able to find

If the machine is bootable, even in Safe mode then the CD/DVD can be created on the computer. This is a one-time ability from what I've seen. Once it's used you can't do it again. Stupid! I provided directions on how to do this in my prior post.

If you can provide information that shows how to do this with a non-bootable machine I'd love to see it, as would Capt.trunks I'm sure.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
My mistake. It was actually another page at your link: HERE

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i used to have that computer a while back its f10 that you hit to restore and then when that loads you are going to want to hit advanced options and the do destructive recovery and u should be about to handle it from there.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Broni, I don't mean to be dense but nowhere on that page (it's one I looked at before) does it tell you to press F10 to start the recovery process from the hidden partition. In every single case it says:

Click Start , click All Programs , select System Recovery , and click Application & Driver Recovery .

Again, if you can point to the specific text I'd really appreciate it.

Matt, F10 is the normal Fn key to press when you want to start the recovery process from the hidden partition as you said. I have a HP and Compaq that I'm working on that I did that with this morning, but nowhere in the documentation for the HP Pavilion zv5000 does it mention it. All it talks about is recovery CDs or DVDs.

If F10 works, that would be great!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I don't mean to be dense

You're not...hahaha...I didn't say F10. I was reading very same thing:

Click Start , click All Programs , select System Recovery , and click Application & Driver Recovery .

However, all HP/Compaq computers, I dealt with, had F10 option.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All the newer ones I've delt with also have this ability but you would think they would document it somewhere. Oh well, as long as it works ...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is my way of thinking...If this computer has Recovery partition, it wouldn't make sense to be able to access it from Windows only, hence "Recovery" name.

Capt.trunks

Capt.trunks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i know its been a while but also forgot you know how when you go to control Panel How there is a blue background when you click it.... its white now mabe haveing osmthing to do with the problem im haveing

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You mean a blue toolbar?

Capt.trunks

Capt.trunks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You mean a blue toolbar?

yea mines all grey and stuff ive got everything else to run right ni the past 5 inutes just seeing grey every where is makeing me mad