Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removal of mcafee antivirus?

• Please log in to reply

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey all-

Installed mcafee antivirus 8.5i on the grounds that my university forced me to.

It has got to be among one of the worst pieces of software I've ever had the supreme displeasure of having forcibly installed on my pc.

It consists of McAfee antivirus, anti spyware of some sort, and a program called McAfee ePolicy orchestrator which will not uninstall from my computer. using the add/remove programs option takes out the other two parts, but the epolicy file simply says it cannot be found... and stays on the menu. with the other two portions of the program removed, i still cannot load any other antivirus, or regain functionality that was lost because of the installation of this program. If any one has any sort of help as to how to get this off of my machine, I would sincerely appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,
G

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Please go here to read Mcafee removal instructions.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You could use a file/folder shredder to remove all of the files, such as the program FileShredder.

BravoZulu

BravoZulu

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi, as an ex line tech/network tech for a popular cable service that offered-offers McAfee I can say that the link that the second person posted is a good-valid one follow that and you won't have much if any remnants left with regards to McAfee if you use that guide on McAfee's site- I would run Ccleaner (or similar) after the uninstall *and reboot* and just delete the base McAfee folder should it still be there, but if you uninstall correctly it won't be there as long as you're patient and reboot right after the uninstall and don't perform other OS actions before that reboot. The problems with improper uninstall (remnants of McAffe still remnain) comes from deciding not to reboot after uninstalling with the uninstaller and fooling around in windows instead of rebooting right away.

Edited by BravoZulu, 27 February 2008 - 08:00 AM.