Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router to router

• Please log in to reply

ihonp101

ihonp101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi im new here and i wanted to know is it possible to hook a wired router to a wireless router. I know alot of you are just going to say why dont you just hhook up the wireless one instead and ill tell you thats not an answer i didnt think of.
thanks,
`ihop

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Should be possible though it won't be able to do wireless to wireless. A lot depends on the router as well, some will not do this.

Set one router up to give out DHCP addresses. Set the other one to get an IP off the other router, this effectively turns it into a network switch.

ihonp101

ihonp101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok but how do i go about setting one router to give out the dhcp address?

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
the Wired router would be in a VPN i would recamend getting a gigabit switch so every thing will stay on the same network

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need a switch, in fact if the router has the required functionality you don't need any more hardware.

If the router has a built-in ability to get an iP address off another device (some of them do), then tell it to behave like this. This is usually done through the router control panel.

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
True, I was just trying to think of the easiest way to do it. If he were to do it that way he would not have it spend any money.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you know...a better description of exactly what you're trying to accomplish would go a long way here..... there are a million ways to connect computers and devices so we need to know your entire situation before we can give effective advice.....