Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger' problem with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

royrace

royrace

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I hope I've posted this in the correct section of your site. My problem is that recently I have noticed that when I try to move files between folders, or access some files from folders, an error message appears on the screen saying 'Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to shut down'. At this point, my system seems to freeze completely and quite often it does not recover and I am forced to reboot the computer. This was a mystery to me as I wasn't aware that ordinary folders could freeze or crash (I'm still not clear on this!) and I'd never heard of this Dr Watson thing, and so assumed it was some malware I had picked up. However, I've tried reading up on it and it seems like it is a part of Windows XP (so hopefully I am right to post this in the XP forum). Really my question is, what is this Dr Watson, what is causing it to mess up my PC all of a sudden and what can I do about it?

I have followed your step by step guide before posting my hijack this log. The AVG anti-spyware scan did throw up a trojan called something like hook.c, as well as a bunch of tracking cookies that I deleted. For some reason, I wasn't able to see a report although I'd asked it to automatically generate one, I must have done something wrong. The AVG virus scan told me that I had no threats, so I'm not sure what to make of that. I tried using pandascan for verification of this but I seemed unable to run the 'controles' needed to make it work.

Really, I'm at a complete loss as to what's going on, so any help anyone could give me would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   7.7KB   306 downloads

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This is hte wrong forum for HJT logs. I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

BTW: I did take a quick look and there does appear to be some malware on your computer.

royrace

royrace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help

I've posted in the malware forum now.

xXEidolonXx

xXEidolonXx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I always get an error report when I open something that is related to video playing or editing. and it either says there's an error sorry for the convinince or DR Watson Postmortem debugger found an error

You cant post HJT logs here, please read the rules