Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Ippy

Ippy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, im not much of a computer person

I started my computer and was planning to move some videos i recently captured from my camera onto the computer.
When i clicked on my computer, it took a strangely long time for the window to come up and show the hardware, disk drives, etc.
Then i stuck the SD memory card into the card reader and the green light blinked on, indicating that it knows a memory card is there.
Then, out of nowhere, the computer started lagging like crazy
Everything in the My Computer window just vanished, and the computer seemed to freeze.
I attempted to restart the computer by clicking start, but nothing happened, so i just manually held the power button to turn it off.
After waiting about a min, i turned it on, and everything seemed to be running perfectly fine.
Then it went into this black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left. The computer stayed like this for about 5 min, so i decided to restart it manually again.
This time, i pressed F2, but the thing said "Entering Set Up" and just went right back into the black screen with the cursor
I restarted again, and i tried to press F12, but then the computer just made this bleeping noise everytime i pressed it and went into the black screen.

Someone please help me, im not very good with computers. Im afraid to lose all my files, so im hoping one of you guys will help me

thanks

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
This could be a malware issues.

but what what kind of beep is it?

one Long beep like

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

or short beeps like

Beep Beep Beep

or Long short long?

BEEEEP beep BEEEEEP beep

or a combination?

I would suggest looking through your computer manual about motherboard beep codes.

Ippy

Ippy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
They were short beeps. if i pressed the button once, it just went beep. once the bar at the bottom of the Dell logo loads up, it just goes into the black screen again

Ippy

Ippy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh wait, i got it. i unplugged the memory card reader and restarted the computer again. it works fine now. i should back up all my important data. thanks anyway

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Your computer was trying to load windows from the memory card and since windows is not installed on your memory card, it couldn't go any further.
That's usually what happens when other storage devices are connected to the computer.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
To prevent this from happening again,

go into the bios and change the startup sequence and change the Card reader to something else other than what it is right now.