Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Downloads

• Please log in to reply

claudiae452

claudiae452

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Unable to download Windows security updates for Office Publisher (KB946216), Office XP (KB944423) and Word 2002 (KB943957). Tried solutions proposed (post 47 on Feb 12 Essexboy) but unable to do them. I don't think I have Office XP or Office Publisher, but I do have Word. I have Vista Home Premium (upgraded from Windows XP a year ago). Thank you. claudiae452

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi claudia,

Do you recieve error messages when you try and download them?

(Mods, please move to Windows Vista!)

claudiae452

claudiae452

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Admiral,
No error messages, just "failed update" (on automatic update) for all three. I didn't go to explanation because, in the past, I have found that to be not useful! Thanks, Claudia

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Claudia,

You could try manually downloading and installing the updates from the windows update site.

Also check your add/remove programs (show windows updates/hotfixes option), if these updates are on the list, remove them then try running windows update again.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Publisher, and Word 2002 are parts of Office XP, so if you have Word 2002, you have to have Office XP installed.
Also, adding to MichWasHere response, try to install them one at a time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also get the updates here...at the softwarepatch...lots of other stuff there too ...

claudiae452

claudiae452

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to download the Windows updates manually and separately on the Windows Update website, but no luck, kept bringing me back to Update Manager. (I could do it with Windows XP but not with Vista.) I checked the add/remove programs but the updates weren't on the list. Windows updates still tries to download the three updates every day, but "failed" every time. I also tried the site from happyrck, but couldn't find the updates I am missing. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks, Claudiae

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello claudiae452,

Please try the following instructions to fix your update issue.

1. Exit all open programs.
2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start bits

claudiae452

claudiae452

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Tuxmaster. I typed in all the commands, hit "enter", and got "syntax of this command is:
NET STOP service"
I am quite a beginner, so did I do it right? Then, what do I do now? (Is Vista holding me back?) Thank you, claudiae452