Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Best Linuix

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi everyone I was just wondering what is your opinion on Linux. Whats the best Linux distribution out their. I need something fast and eye candy. Thanks everyone.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
There is no best. It is a matter of what works for you..
What's fast?
What do you consider Eye Candy?
What will your hardware handle?
What do you need the system to do.?

If you have the chops and truly want the system that best fits you build your own distro with Linux From Scratch.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
seconded, but I would put it more what is your level, because the more the distro is snazzy the more the install and after install takes doing, so, if one is starting, I would start with a simple linux like Mint linux which has no after install in that it is more or less complete from the install, and then when one has some understanding under ones belt, I would move on to something more suited to ones computer in that silverbread is right "different horses for different courses", pointless to put a lowend linux of a highend computer and impossible to put a highend linux on a lowend computer. Mint linux is not the best in many ways but I have yet to find one that is easier to start with.

I like kubuntu because it is kde, but I appreciate fedora, DSL, Knoppix and the others

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I find Mandriva and Ubuntu to be some of the most intresting.

whokneww

whokneww

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My opinion on what is the best version of ubuntu is not about what it looks like but more of how productive can you be with it and does it have support for the hardware that you want to use. Recently, (the past year) ubuntu has really took a stand when it comes to offering a operating system that is productive and supports a wide range of hardware out there. My recommendation is ubuntu! Check it out there is a free download on their site http://ubuntu.com

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Slackware (in my experience the fastest). Looks are usually just made up for with a desktop interface (Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox etc.), not the actual distro

sanosukez

sanosukez

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
While studying i tried Red Hat and its actually quite good

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I have used a few distributions of linux and personally I like Mandriva and Fedora.

Both are easy to navigate round and I think are ideal for beginners.

idgpitt

idgpitt

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I would say if you are looking for something to run on a decent machine I would recommend either the
latest Fedora Core which can be retrieved here:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

if you are looking for something a little more easy/stable I would recommend Ubuntu.
You can't beat the ease of EVERYTHING.
http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download

If you want something a little more customizable but still stable: kubuntu
http://www.kubuntu.com/download.php

Good luck and enjoy the switch!

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ubuntu.

There's a number of new systems coming out with the Realtek ethernet driver that a lot of Linux systems don't recognise, so, no internet (yeah, I'm the dummy who bought a $3,000 computer with a Realtek driver that doesn't work in Linux). I could only figure out how to get it working in the Ubuntu distro which I prefer regardless.

If I wasn't using Ubuntu, I'd go Mandriva. If you've ever seen the Xandros on the eee-PC, it's quite similar. Much more stylish than Ubuntu. My third option would be Mint - similar to Ubuntu, keener on the eye.