Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tmp

• Please log in to reply

IceKeyMaster

IceKeyMaster

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I keep getting this empty folder on my desktop called "tmp". If I delete it, it comes back when i'm not looking. What is it?

Advertisements

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

I keep getting this empty folder on my desktop called "tmp". If I delete it, it comes back when i'm not looking. What is it?

Hello,

Why not have a browse through this LINK and see what you can find that may help you - :)

kind regards,

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
In short answer it is the Temporary Folder - and indeed it will continually recreate itself.

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Yes I agree, it is most likely the *tmp folder but should not be re appearing on the OP's desktop.

Mine certainly is not, it is in Windows, and the contents are cleared each day with one or other of my Cleanup Utilities.

kind regards,

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
If it reappearing on the Desktop, your "My Documents" or M:\ drive is probably corrupt.

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hi IceKeyMaster,

Try this link and see if it helps you.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 29 February 2008 - 04:34 PM.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
IKM,

If the problem persist after following Tallin's advice.

Can you tell us whats in the tmp folder? Also I would venture to guess it is being created when you open up a "certain" program. Delete it and open some of your more commonly used programs and see if thats the case.

If it reappearing on the Desktop, your "My Documents" or M:\ drive is probably corrupt.

:)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi IceKeyMaster...

Try deleting the file from safe mode and see if it stays gone. If it doesn't, we'll see if we can determine what application is creating it to see if we can stop it from being created in the first place.

wannabe1

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
In response to loopholes quote of mine, the temp folder is located in "My Documents" or also known to be the M:\ drive. If that is not present, the Temp folder is not present resulting in temporary files otherwise being saved onto the desktop.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

In response to loopholes quote of mine, the temp folder is located in "My Documents" or also known to be the M:\ drive.

where did you get this information from? this is incorrect in any version of windows...lettered drives (or volumes) must be "mounted" from a target location such as a hard disk or network location....My Documents is a folder located on the local computer and doesn't require drive mapping...if this were the case then the letter M would not be an available drive letter...which i can assure you is not the case