Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scan my PC harddrive with my laptop

• Please log in to reply

pagandad

pagandad

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HI-
I would like to scan my PC's harddrive with a recovery program on my laptop to try to recover some pic's that were lost when i had to reformat. The program can't run on the drive it's scanning. through my network connection i can scan shared files but not the harddrive itself. Can you tell me how to hook them up so i can do this? Any help would be appreciated. My 4 yr olds b-day pics were lost :)
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put it in an external caddy then plug that into a USB port. It will need its own power source. Then you can run data recovery from the laptop and tell it to work on the new drive E/F/G/whatever.

pagandad

pagandad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
An external caddy, I'll look for one. Any way to do this w/o pulling the HD out???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll have to take the drive out to be able to scan it from another computer

as a note....file recovery POST FORMAT is very unreliable...so don't get your hopes up....it's possible...and depending on the scenario it can work....but it's not a guaranteed process

pagandad

pagandad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you -

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You could just run it from a Flash Drive.

pagandad

pagandad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmmmmm........ well , the first time i ran it w/out reading up on it and the results were very BAD!!!!!! The PC started crashing randomly(BSOD and instant black screen restart) with video card and memory errors. An intressting idea but I don't think I'm gonna try it . I'm gonna get an IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 cable anyway but thanks for the input.
Pagan