Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burner problems

• Please log in to reply

lanndroo

lanndroo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Heres the deal, hopefully in a nutshell. I am running Windows XP home (svc. pk. 2) in a Dell Dimension 4400. I had a CD burner in the 0 position, and a DVD burner in the 1 position, which were labeled E and F, respectively. Everything worked fine. I then changed out both units simultaneously, placing an NEC 1300 DVD burner in the 0 position, set at cable select, and a Lite-On DH 20A4P dual layer burner at the no.1 position, also set at cable select. The computer "saw" both units with the proper drive letters and the detailed description (make and model) was correct, however the NEC will only play CDs, and the program freezes when I try to play a DVD. The Lite-On will play a DVD.
Neither unit will produce sound.
I have tried un-installing and re-installing via the device manager, to no avail. I think what is happening is that the computer is 'confused' into thinking the new burners are the same characteristically as the old ones, and doesn't 'realize' they are different devices.
I have now physically as well as virtually un-installed both units from the computer, which brings me to my question.
In order to have the computer recognize them for what they are, do I need to make any registry changes before physically re-installing them? I plan on installing them 1 at a time, this time. Also, should I un-install any third party burning and copying software (such as Nero and DVD Shrink) before doing so?
Thank you to anyone who posts a reply and helps me out.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, lanndroo.

Setting the jumpers at cable-select position could be the problem, especially if the data ribbon cable is the old 40-wire type as opposed to the 80-wire type (only 80-wire ribbon cables are compatible with the cable-select option, and they have three IDE connectors each coloured differently (blue, grey, and black). Blue connects to the motherboard, grey is for the slave drive, and black is for the master drive. Even with an 80-wire cable, the CSEL option may not function properly, so I always stick to configuring the drives as slave and master using the jumpers, regardless of what type of ribbon cable I'm using.

Set one drive as slave with the jumper then connect it to the middle IDE connector of the ribbon cable. Then set the other drive as master and connect it to the end-connector of the ribbon cable (remember, if the ribbon has a blue connector this connects to the motherboard, not to a drive).
If it's an old 40-wire ribbon, either end can be plugged into the motherboard port.

Hope this solves your problem.

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 11:03 AM.

lanndroo

lanndroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replying.
The previous set-up, which worked correctly, had both the CD burner and DVD burner set at cable select. This leads me to believe that the problem lies elsewhere.
I think the computer is treating the two new devices as if they are the old ones, with the same characteristics as the old ones.
That is why I am wondering, if I can clear the registry of their existence, then re-install them one at a time the computer will recognize them for what they are. My problem is that I don't know which registry values to look for, or even if something this drastic is necessary. Any ideas?
Again, thanks to all who get involved.