Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Movie Maker Freezes A LOT

• Please log in to reply

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My Windows Movie Maker freezes almost every time I try to do something on it, like clip or add a clip. It is very annoying and I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to fix this. I am using Windows Vista.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
may be insufficient RAM - Vista struggles even with 1Gb, and anything connected with video is quite memory intensive.
Unless, of course, it used to run Windows MM okay with no less RAM than it has now. In which case I do apologise and we'll try to help you further if possible. I don't know how long you've had the PC or how long since Vista was installed, but drive C: may benefit from a defragmentation session.
Fragmentation leaves related files scattered all over the disk instead of them being physically together, and this means those files take longer for Windows to find.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I got my computer in December last year as a Christmas present. Have the disk defragmenter thing set to defragment every week. My computer has 3072 mbs of ram.

I only just started using Windows Movie Maker. Does this happen to everyone's movie maker?

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
It does seem that some users have trouble with it.

Mine has just started "unknown error has occured" after I dragged in some video and sound

clips. No idea what is causing that.

I am looking for an alternative that is just as easy to use.

It is practically impossible to delete or rename as it just recreates itself. I wanted to try a fresh

copy.

You can get another copy from download.com and softpedia.com without having to go through MS,

I have done this and will see if it makes any difference.

Mudkipboy

Mudkipboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The problem has gotten worse.

Now, every so often, my monitor shows some random part of my screen and it tesselates until my screen is filled up. My computer locks up and then I have to go through windows restore. It is annoying.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Check the Event Viewer to see if it is showing any errors also

WMM Errors