Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed mother board now computer will not start

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok, I have come to this conclusion. This motherboard needs a graphic card.

Now this motherboard is the EXACT same as mine, numbers are almost the same as well.

My motherboard I took out did not have a graphic card on it.

This motherboard has a slot for an AGP graphic card.

So do I need to go out and buy a card to be able to use this?

Why did mine work without one?

Now the other part...

Why when I have everything hooked up, and I think it is hoooked up right, my cd rom will not light up or open?

Thanks

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The power supply may be providing some power, just not the proper amount of power.
This may be one reason that the CD does not work.
This is why I asked you if you can use a different power supply for testing.
You do not need a graphics card.
Ether your power supply is bad, or the motherboard has failed.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Not trying to argue with you but if I replace the existing motherboard with the exact same motherboard why would my powersupply not be providing enough power?

If motherboard is bad I thought it beeped. That is what the other one did.

????

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
A beep does not mean that the mother board is bad.
No beep does indicate a problem.
Your power supply may have been going bad, It may even have caused the motherboard to go bad.
It may not be bad, which is why I suggested using a known good power supply for a test.
But you know way more than I do, the mother board is good, the power supply is good, It is your CD that will not let the computer boot up.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am just going by what everyone is telling me.

I shorted out my first motherboard by trying to fix a ram problem that came with the computer.

I do not have anymore money to put into this, as of right now I am out $400.

So I know the powersupply shouldn't of been the problem as it booted just fine, just kept giving me a ram issue. Then I took it to a computer shop, that guy broke my cpu and never told me. I took computer to a different shop as I didn't believe I needed to replace mobo and cpu. The guy that looked at it then, told me the cpu was cracked and can't believe the computer ever ran. I explained to him about shop one.

Now I bought another supposibly working motherboard that is per Gateway for my specific computer.

Another person I have spoke with is guessing along with me, maybe the on board video is not working.

Now I guess I have a fight on my hands to get my money back as I have no more money to have a shop look at it and not getting anywhere with any on line help.
Thanks

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I wish that I had known that first.
Yes, the first shop ripped you off. I despise that kind of thing.
I think that it is your power supply because
  • The fans try to start but can not.
  • The CD door will not open (even with a dead board or processor the door should open)
  • Some times the CD door does open, and the fans work.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

• The CD door will not open (even with a dead board or processor the door should open)

Good point. A weak power supply won't be able to support these things. I had experience with this.

When i was building my mom's system (srry to keep bringing this up) The CD doors just refused to open. or opened slightly.

The PSU was not very good (250w generic)

I assuming you have never upgraded your PSU before so im guessing it's generic too.

I think you should think about getting a new PSU.

also

if you report that person, he/she could get fired.

~~~~~~~~~

You spent $400 already? This is why prefab computers are a problem.

at the rate your going, you might as well as build a new computer.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

You must not of read the entire thread. The computer DOES come on, I am having issues with the power button that was causing it not to come on. The computer does power up, the fans works, the rom door does open, it only does not open if I have the cable plugged into the board. The rom works, but no sounds comes from it. All the lights work, etc.
I just do not have anything on the monitor.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
then i think you might have a video problem.

Your using onboard Video right?

Do you have any Video cards to test with?

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Good point. A weak power supply won't be able to support these things. I had experience with this.

When i was building my mom's system (srry to keep bringing this up) The CD doors just refused to open. or opened slightly.

The PSU was not very good (250w generic)

I assuming you have never upgraded your PSU before so im guessing it's generic too.

I don't even know what a PSU is? I only know what I bought.

I think you should think about getting a new PSU.

also

if you report that person, he/she could get fired.

He owns the business.

~~~~~~~~~

You spent $400 already? This is why prefab computers are a problem.

This is a Gateway computer, I paid $300 for it used, I just paid $100 for the motherboard/ram/cpu

at the rate your going, you might as well as build a new computer.

I can't afford that, that is why I bought a new computer. I was going to buy another used computer, bared boned, with just a motherboard/cpu and transfer all the stuff over, but my husband threw a fit and didn't want me to spend $25 extra on one I could of tried out.
[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now I just need to find out why I have no sound and nothing on screen. EVERYTHING is working but those 2 things. Not sure if there is something I am over looking that should of been down to this motherboard to match what I am using or if this one is broke too.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Now when I push the start button it does not start. The fans turn but then stop.
I get nothing. Now before I go unplugging it all, does any of these really have anything to do with the computer button (when I push it the fans go but then stop)?

I am still having trouble with the start button, BUT it did come on and the cd rom is working. Before it would come on but the cd rom did not work.
Why when I have everything hooked up, and I think it is hoooked up right, my cd rom will not light up or open?

I have read the whole thread.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
and you still think after the computer is running the reason I am not getting a beep or anything on monitor is my power supply?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Honestly?
The computer works, the computer does not work.
The CD works, the CD does not work.
You paid $300.00 for the computer and $100.00 for the board, how much at the repair shop?(you spent $400.00 total.
Hey, try a video card, or new memory, or a sound card.
All I asked you to do was test the power supply.

and you still think after the computer is running the reason I am not getting a beep or anything on monitor is my power supply?

I will not know because you do not want to do any thing any one here suggest.
Good by

Edited by hfcg, 28 February 2008 - 09:30 PM.

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I do not have a power supply to test.
I have tried what EVERYONE has told me, and I have talked to 5 people in the past 24 hours and this group is the only one thinking it is the powersupply. Others have said possibly video, but since it is on board video it would be possibly bad mother board.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
OK No video could also be that the RAM is not seated properly, or bad.
May be that I misunderstood you. From the topic, and post it seams that the computer does not do anything.
Lets look at it from this point, The computer starts up but you do not have any display.
If it is the video card, you can add a card for under $40.00.
Just because it is on board does not mean that the whole board is bad.
here is a link that will give you some information on installing a video card.
Try taking the memory out, and putting it back in first please.